Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have searched the forums in hope of finding a solution to my problem. I have a loud tick coming from what seems to be the valvetrain. I pulled my valve cover and checked all the lifters by pressing down on them while the engine is running but I could not figure out which lifter (if any at all) was the culprit. This is a method I have used on other engines and it has worked to locate the bad one. From what I can tell, they are getting oil through them, no problem, and all the rocker arms seem ok. the rockers do have some side to side movement but doesnt seem as if there is any back and forth (cam lobe to valve) so it seems alright.

Is there another way to remedy my situation?

Thanks, all

·
Registered
1985 500sel konig special widebody, 1979 slc, 1992 300sl
232 Posts
did you try taking off vavle covers and cleaning the small wholes under the cams? you can clean them with a small 90 degree pick

·
Registered
1988 300E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i'm not certain of the holes you speak of. It's a single cam, 12 valve. Wouldn't that require me to pull all of the rocker arms, then the cam?

·
Registered
1985 500sel konig special widebody, 1979 slc, 1992 300sl
232 Posts
the spaces between lifters. the rail than brings oil to the cams. place finger half way in between and you should feel them. plus if the lifters n cams are bad. these motors are in just about every junkyard i've ever been in. just swap it out. just have someone torque it when your done :). i had a 300e last year. 69k miles! sold it to some kid

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
Check tightness of rocker bolts. My friend had valve train noise and it turned out one of the towers had all 4 bolts strip out, it was pretty extreme though since I could see it had lifted from the head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts