Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I drove from Jacksonville to Tampa over the weekend. On the way back Bad Karma. [:(]

First...a very large Titan pickup truck passed us, we were doing about 75-80 mph just as he got to our 10 oclock position the ladder he had in the back became airborn. One of his tiedowns still held and it fliped down his right side. He decided to go into the median and started throwing up rocks with the ladder hanging on the side. I moved into the right emg lane as did the semi truck behind me. No damage except for a few small rocks hitting the windshield.

Second... between Ocala and Gainsville the van I was following at about 75mph suddenly twiched and lurched. Next I could see the retread tire he just ran over as I ran over it....We got off the interstate and checked the front end. The chin scoop bottem was split and the engine skid plastic protector was ripped. We were able to pop the plastic back into place and drive without a problem. [:(]

Third...outside Camp Blanding (RT 16, a nice driving road)a small bird launched itself into flight into our right side bumper. We saw it bounce over the car after impact....[xx(]

Any gusses on the repair costs of the front bumper replacement and possible front end allignment???
[B)]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the problems. I've had this done twice at a Mercedes dealer. I believe it's around $1,500 to $1,800 for replacement and paint. Depending on if the fog lights need replaced, etc.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Ther are some days when you just can't win for losing. Sorry to hear about you problems. [:(]
I think that after the second event, I would be so paranoid I wouldn't let anything within 100 yards of the car, even if I had to park it...[;)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YellowSLK230...We stopped at Cracker Barrel (sp?) resturant in Gainsville but we didn't see you there. [;)]

The fog lights are good. All of the damage is on the bottom of the chin spoiler and engine skid pan/protector.

I spoke to my State Farm insurance agent today, our deductable is $100.00. It will be our first insurance claim in over eight years.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The belly pan doesn't cost much.........

and is a snap to replace, only 4 or 5 screws depending on which model SLK and it's done. Anything painted gets expensive. Damn body shops cost too much.....[:D][:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I killed a wild dog our in the desert comming home from a friends house. He went right under my skid plate splattered his insides all over the bottom of my car. I got it up on the lift and washed it all off. No damage pissed me off tho. poor little guy. I was going like 90 and he ran right inde rmy car front and center.

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
It's that same terrible law of nature that always seems to be at work. The more you like something and the nicer it is the more agents are arrayed against it and you. It's the same law that is at work when you park in the most remote line of parking spots at a store and come out and find two old rusted out pickup trucks parked on either side and no one else around. I've had two rocks hit this car in the three weeks I've had it and can't remember even one in the year before.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dropped the car off this morning at the body shop (Autocrafters). Estimate is $696.78 for front bumper replacement, painting, new skid pan and all wheel alignment. We will see [8)].
Expect it back this Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
TLC 320 - 3/28/2005 11:19 AM

Dropped the car off this morning at the body shop (Autocrafters). Estimate is $696.78 for front bumper replacement, painting, new skid pan and all wheel alignment. We will see [8)].
Expect it back this Thursday or Friday.
WoW! That's really a great deal. I ended up getting mine fixed at the dealer, but I did go to two other very reputable body shops. The least expensive quote was $798, and that was for a reconditioned bumper cover.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The next chapter...

I went to pick up my car from the body shop today...new front bumper cover looked ok....and a NEW CHIP IN THE PAINT on the drivers door [:eek:]. The car is black on black and the chip in the paint on the door stands out, big time [:(!]. I refused to accept the car and contacted State Farm to complain.....the adjustor was also upset as he could see the prework photos sent to them. So now the adjustor is to contact them.

We will see...[:(!]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chapter 3

I picked up the car last Friday evening. Door chip repaired. Good job, not execellent, but good.

Front bumper cover ... $298.00
Skid pan ... $ 42.00

painting, labor,
alignment, etc ... Total $733.17

Getting my car back...priceless [:D]

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
I killed a racoon (bout 18 lbs) at 70 mph the 2nd month I had my 32 AMG, gotta love backwoods AL. My deductible was only $100, but it cost the insurance company about $1700... had to fix one of the fog lamps, both grills (supercharger and fog lamp), entire front end (plus painting and paint matching), bottom engine cover, and a couple other things... Poor racoon never saw the red blur that ended his crawfish eatin career...... [:0] I was seriously about to cry [:(!] [:(] [:(!]

·
Registered
SLK230 Limited Editi
337 Posts
I was driving down the river road along the delaware river, isolated simple two lane, in our little town, and saw this BMW barrelling down the road toward me in the distance....
I know the speed trap he was approaching, now behind me, and a large goose was slowly waddling across the road from my side of the road into his lane, going to the river...
I flashed my high beams, and waved my hand out the window for him to slow down. As he passed me at high speed, he flipped me the finger and was yelling at me. As he turned his attention back to the road, (now in the speed trap)he saw the 40 pound goose. He slammed on his brakes, his front end drove down, and he nailed that goose. I didn't get to enjoy the sound of his front end being destoyed, but that poor goose exploded into a puff of feathers.
Then the cop pulled out....
Cop told me me ticketed him for 65 in a 25 zone, and the car had to be towed......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts