Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My responsible daughter put some bad gas in her car. It is a 2004 C230 Kompressor,130,000 miles. The car has not had any major problems. She called home for help thinking she had run out of fuel. She said she did not understand as she had just filled up the tank. She went to a gas station that we warned her about not ever buying their gas. The car runs sluggish,sputters , then falls dead. Changed the fuel filter. That's all I did. No improvement. We try to drive it but its very frustrating. This car does not behave like this. Sputtering,putt-putting along. If you press on the gas pedal >20 miles there is a loss of power and it falls dead.Trying to get help or is it in the dealers hand ? :confused:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'm assuming she now understands why you told her not to go there? ;)

Add a can of Sta-bil blue (marine formula) and some dri-gas to the tank. That may take care of it, if not you'll have to drain at least enough that you can get a half tank of good premium in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad fuel II

What is Dri-gas. I see what the Sta-Bil Marine formula is. Drained the gas tank as much as I could when I changed the fuel filter. Added a fuel additive and Shell V power gas.. No + results though.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
When draining a tank of bad gas you need to shake the car around like fury so as to stir up the sediments and drain them too.

I would say that you next step is to do a good fuel pressure and flow check.

You can rent a good fuel gauge from Autozone.

Attach the gauge to the Schroeder valve on the fuel rail and purge the air from the gauge.

Then turn the ignition key two click so that the fuel pump engages.

It should pump up to 50 psi or a bit over. It should get up there nice and steady. On my c230 it gets there with one turn of the key. On other models it takes a couple or 3 turns.

Then you want to do a running test. The pressure should be close to 56psi.
Spec range is 54 to 61 psi. If the needle jumps around to much you most likely have a bad fuel pressure damper. The function of the damper is to smooth out fuel pressure so the injector pulses will result in the right fuel/air ratio. Rev the engine up and down and check the needle does not go out of spec range.

Next step is the fuel flow test.
With the engine running at idle and with ab adequate container to catch the fuel press the relief valve on the fuel pressure gauge and see how well fuel flows into the container. The flow should be smooth and is should give you a pint in 15sec.

Next you want to see if fuel pressure holds up for a while when toy shut off the engine. It should drop a bit and then hold for a while. At least 5min or longer.

I had a damper go bad. A plastic chip got into the core of the damper.

Bsd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts