Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'd like your expert opinions on a diagnoses. I have been experiencing an intermittent fuel smell under the hood, especially when standing still after a long drive. The odor is definitely coming from under the hood...I can get a whiff right in front of the windshield and in the cabin when I turn on the fan and draw in outside air.

At first I thought it was the EHA, but then I remembered it was replaced with a brand new unit about two and a half years ago. I pulled the air cleaner today and found the EHA dry, but there was a definite wetness and raw fuel smell in the hose that leads to from the valve cover on the passenger side into the air cleaner housing.

If I am reading other posts correctly, fuel in this hose could only get there if the diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator is failing and leaking into the small vacuum-like tube that feeds into this hose.

Time for a new FPR?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Yup! And they're REALLY expensive new! Like $300 or so.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Grab a couple from the JY. first checking to see they hold vacuum from the rubber tube and if they do you're golden.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation and for the tip on testing it with vacuum. I'll definitely shop around for a good, used unit.

·
Premium Member
2003.5 600CL; 94 e320; 1985 500 SEC; 1985 300D Turbo. Many others over the years ...
253 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts