Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people doing when their door lock tumblers kick the bucket now that they are no longer available from Mercedes? I have keyless entry now, but it would be nice to have a working key lock. Guess I should have replaced it when it went South.

Also, the local dealer is telling me that they can't sell me an ignition tumbler, even with the car and VIN there unless they install it.

Yay.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
sounds like you should try another dealer, if you get the same answer, bite the bullet, pay them to install. At the end of the day you have an overpriced door lock, but it works.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like you should try another dealer, if you get the same answer, bite the bullet, pay them to install. At the end of the day you have an overpriced door lock, but it works.
They don't want that much to install the ignition tumbler, so I am fine with that. The door lock tumbler, if it were available, would be twice as much. I plan to go ahead and have them do the ignition tumbler as a precautionary measure.

The door lock is the bigger problem, because it is actually done with life and the key has almost been stuck in there a number of times. It is not a problem for me normally, but if I leave the car with anyone, I have to remember to tell them NOT to put the key in. I covered the lock with tape, but it looks bad and I learned that some people will just stick the key through the tape not realizing it is there. So of I can't get a replacement, I need to come up with a better way to cover/disable it. But, I still hate the idea of something being broken. Maybe I will have to just get a used one that is good and deal with having a different key...ugh...

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
Easy to pull one out of the door. I think it's in the FSM. You turn the key in the door lock to a certain position and loosen a set screw......comes right out. NO drilling....lol!

You have a small plastic cap in the door hiding the cavity you work in.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My concern was that the key wouldn't work in it to turn that 60 degrees and I would have to then drill it.

But, I have a bit of an update. I decided to risk it and put the key in it today to remove the tumbler to try and see if I could find a part number. I was inspired because when I looked up the part number the dealer gave me it showed a part that looked different than what I have (no chrome trim on the outside), and the ones that looked like mine had different part numbers. Anyway, I got it out fine, but then the key didn't want to come out. With some wiggling around for about a minute, it did eventually come out. I was never able to find a part number, nor could I figure out how it comes apart so there is access to the wafers. I didn't want to risk making things worse, so I just started cleaning it up a big. I took a small screwdriver and dug out some gunk and wiped it off with Simple Green. Then I got brave and stuck the key in again, because I knew I would have to do that anyway to put it back in the door. And the key slipped right on out. So I put it in again, and it came right out. I kept putting it in and turning it both ways and then removing it. There was some squeaking, but it was working fine. So I put a little Tri-Flow in it from where I could and stuck the key back in. It is smooth and the key works fine now. Yes, I know Tri-Flow probably isn't the best thing to put in there, but that's what I had on hand. So there ya go...at least for now, it is working. But I'd still like to confirm the part number somehow. When I look up used ones they have part numbers, but I have no idea where the sellers are getting the numbers? I'm going to get in touch with a dealer again and see if there is a mistake there.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quite recently my drivers door lock wouldn't work with the original key. So I start using the trunk to lock & unlock the car.

The M-B dealership ordered a new key to be made for me.

The new key solved the door lock problem, also solved the problem with a notchy ignition tumbler issue.

Only $27. for the M-B key, came from Texas in 2 days.

I inserted some clear silicone grease into all 4 tumblers, lubing them internally helped them work significantly smoother.

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
My concern was that the key wouldn't work in it to turn that 60 degrees and I would have to then drill it.

But, I have a bit of an update. I decided to risk it and put the key in it today to remove the tumbler to try and see if I could find a part number. I was inspired because when I looked up the part number the dealer gave me it showed a part that looked different than what I have (no chrome trim on the outside), and the ones that looked like mine had different part numbers. Anyway, I got it out fine, but then the key didn't want to come out. With some wiggling around for about a minute, it did eventually come out. I was never able to find a part number, nor could I figure out how it comes apart so there is access to the wafers. I didn't want to risk making things worse, so I just started cleaning it up a big. I took a small screwdriver and dug out some gunk and wiped it off with Simple Green. Then I got brave and stuck the key in again, because I knew I would have to do that anyway to put it back in the door. And the key slipped right on out. So I put it in again, and it came right out. I kept putting it in and turning it both ways and then removing it. There was some squeaking, but it was working fine. So I put a little Tri-Flow in it from where I could and stuck the key back in. It is smooth and the key works fine now. Yes, I know Tri-Flow probably isn't the best thing to put in there, but that's what I had on hand. So there ya go...at least for now, it is working. But I'd still like to confirm the part number somehow. When I look up used ones they have part numbers, but I have no idea where the sellers are getting the numbers? I'm going to get in touch with a dealer again and see if there is a mistake there.

Thanks guys!
My locksmith swears by Tri-Flow....me, not so much, although if you gave it really good cleaning and then the Tri-Flow I think that would be OK. Once the lube in Tri-Flow dissipates, you're left with the Teflon, which is a good thing.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
Quite recently my drivers door lock wouldn't work with the original key. So I start using the trunk to lock & unlock the car.

The M-B dealership ordered a new key to be made for me.

The new key solved the door lock problem, also solved the problem with a notchy ignition tumbler issue.

Only $27. for the M-B key, came from Texas in 2 days.

I inserted some clear silicone grease into all 4 tumblers, lubing them internally helped them work significantly smoother.

But the silicone will eventually attract crud.....mostly lint from you pocket over a long period of time. What should stay in there is a dry lube.

Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing