Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been having a clutch issue lately..i.e. pedal sticking to the floor, but last week it got more serious...loss of fluid at the brake m/c.
So , looking at the pedal m/c no sign of leak...:(...must be the dreaded slave cylinder ..:mad:
Acquired a new s/c €150 and spend a day removing the box only to find that the s/c were as clean as the new one..:(...not prepared to take a chance i replaced it ...
First drive this morning.........foot to the floor again ...but worse now as it would stay down at every pump..:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Popped the hood..fluid level had dropped a lot..
Jacked it up again..crawled under to find brake fluid dripping off everything..and burning on the exhaust....:(
After a few minutes i decided that a pipe was leaking and set about removing the m/c to box pipe....it didnt come out easily as its formed around the bulk head...while i was pulling it out i knew THIS pipe was never going back in...:crybaby2:
So after removal a quick clean revealed this.....:eek:
Turns out the jubilee clip on the heater hose was rubbing against it (probably since day one) and wore through...my messing around with the g/box probably caused the split to open........
New s/s flexi line tomorrow me thinks....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Bad luck compounded by the moron who put the clip on.

Some years ago I lost ALL the coolant suddenly, the idiot who owned the vito before me, had put in a new radiator and bottom hose THEN used the original rusted out jubilee clip to save 30p.

You would be surprised how many brake and clutch problems are because the "bell end" of the pipe squeezes itself into the fixing nut allowing air to get sucked in long before any fluid leak can occur

..... I learned it at cost on my old LandRover which continually had brake failure....... when it happened on the vito (original pipes) I knew what to look for.......... cure-- new pipes and prayers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts