Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news, but I hope you're okay. How bad is the damage? Were you able to drive the car home?

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear the bad news, but I hope you're okay. How bad is the damage? Were you able to drive the car home?
Got stiff neck pain, the bumper is a goner and truck area is badly damaged, plus problem with the auto top. Had to drive slow, but made it home.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Good luck with that. I fell your pain. Same happened to me once, and it ended up in a write off. The trouble is the rear of the car starts to crumple and straightening it so the roof works is very expensive - more than the car's worth. Good luck anyway and I hope you recover quickly from your neck injury.

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oztds, how many months did it take for your pain to completely go away? My shoulder area is now hurting with neck pain; sleeping is unbearable. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,475 Posts
Oztds, how many months did it take for your pain to completely go away? My shoulder area is now hurting with neck pain; sleeping is unbearable. Thanks
I am sorry to hear about your pain. You need to keep a paper audit trail of your medical exams, treatments, etc. to make insurance claims. You should go to a doctor for treatment and evaluation. If you have a long term injury, you should be able to claim future expenses, etc.

·
Registered
'99 SLK230
116 Posts
Agree 100% w/ DecoThom. In the 60's I had a relative who involved in a rear-end collision. Up to the day she passed away a few years back she had neck & back issues. She had a neck brace that she had to wear when the pain flared up. She was never properly compensated for any lost work time over all those years.

Personally I'd say if you haven't been to the doctor yet then you should be going asap.

On a side note: In the mid 80's there was a guy who lived on the same street as my best friend who had two ferarri's (this was a 100% middle class neighborhood so each car was worth more than the home). Turned out he was buying a ton of different 'pay $ per day while your in the hospital' policies & then staging car accidents. He finally went to jail for insurance fraud - and a little issue w/ helping a friend drive away from a bank robbery. His GF tourched one during an argument one night also - burnt to a crisp in the driveway.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1965 Mustang V-8 Convertible
146 Posts
Sorry to hear about your SLK being rear ended. The car damage and the neck pain you have sucks.

My wife was rear ended twice: once in 2004 and once in 2007 (both times in Acura TL's). We both hate to sue, but we had to get an attorney both times just to get the insurance company to pay for the medical bills in full. And her medical bills were large because she needed surgery on her neck after the second rear end. Insurance companies SUCK when they actually have to pay out money, even when they admit their covered driver is at fault.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your pain. You need to keep a paper audit trail of your medical exams, treatments, etc. to make insurance claims. You should go to a doctor for treatment and evaluation. If you have a long term injury, you should be able to claim future expenses, etc.
Sorry, you misunderstood my comment which was metaphorical. Yes we got rear ended and pushed into a car in the front, but neither of us in the car were at all injured. The pain was the loss of the car.
I suggest you get seen to by a doctor and/or osteopath to diagnose your back and neck injury as soon as possible. I don't know how insurance works where you are. In Australia we all have to carry third party injury insurance as part of our vehicle registration, so there is at least financial cover for injury treatment.
The car is a secondary issue.:eek:

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to ER for x-rays, relaxer shot and meds, wearing clavicle collar still not not help with on going pain. Got call from other insurance co saying their policy does not have enough to cover my car's damage, so I will be claiming my ins with deductible and rental costs. :(

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,475 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. How can their insurance company not cover $15k or so, I think is your blue book value? Is it no fault insurance? How much are they covered for in collision, rental, towing, medical, etc.? You may have considerable medical expenses over the next few years or decades. I would ask your insurance company what you can do to collect from the guilty party and/or his/her insurance company. Your insurance company should or may be able to get maximum settlements from the other parties. Your insurance company may recommend that you hire an attorney to sue the guilty party.

Sorry to hear about your pain. What is the prognosis? Can the doctor or hospital estimate long term treatment as well as all medical costs?

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Three vehicles involved, mine was the first vehicle, the other insurance will cover the last two vehicles first as I'm told which they have low funds for repair. I'm going to seek therapy for my back and neck pain, no estimate from hospital.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts