Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the whole day at the dealer, 5 hours.
I put off the power steering recall with a bad outcome. The hose poped off in cold weather and no power steering. If you haven't done it, do it!
They replaced clamps and the hose and flushed the system. Then they replaced the harmonic balancer and the serpentine belt. Then they told me that both catalytic converters were cracked and leaking. Then they told me the brake pedal switch needed to be replaced.
The good news, $60 for the belt and that was it. Sure nice to have the extended warranty.
The main purpose of the post is to be sure that you get the power steering recall done and have them check the converters.
Mark

·
Registered
02 ML 320
1,046 Posts
I had it done once, but it just broke a few weeks ago for me, i still dont think they fixed the problem. my advice is everytime you have it in have them take a look at it, and also make sure u take a look from time to time.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
N1ML - 2/4/2005 6:33 PM

I spent the whole day at the dealer, 5 hours.
I put off the power steering recall with a bad outcome. The hose poped off in cold weather and no power steering. If you haven't done it, do it!
They replaced clamps and the hose and flushed the system. Then they replaced the harmonic balancer and the serpentine belt. Then they told me that both catalytic converters were cracked and leaking. Then they told me the brake pedal switch needed to be replaced.
The good news, $60 for the belt and that was it. Sure nice to have the extended warranty.
The main purpose of the post is to be sure that you get the power steering recall done and have them check the converters.
Mark
Sounds to me like you have not done any Preventative maint at all. Perhaps not even had your ML serviced at a dealership. Why on earth would you sit there for 5 hours when you could have gotten a loaner and gone about your business or to work. Maybe you have too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was in last November for oil change. (2003). We only put about 6K per year on it.
My wife was supposed to have taken it in for the clamp but she "forgot". First they wer going to do the clamp. Then they came out, an hour later and said the harmonic balancer needed replacement. I thought I was going home. They came out and said the harmonic balancer was "frozen" on and took longer than planned. Then they came out and told me I needed 2 Cats and could come back another time. I decided to keep reading my book which was real good. My wife called on the cell and told me about the little light that keeps coming on. I mentioned it to the SA and it was another hour. Then there was a line to wash vehicles. It's real dirty up here this time of year and takes longer. I guess it was a chain of events that led to the long problem. I have a 2002 E Class that is next to perfect. I do not think that I will replace the ML with another ML due to all these problems.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
N1ML - 2/5/2005 3:26 PM

It was in last November for oil change. (2003). We only put about 6K per year on it.
My wife was supposed to have taken it in for the clamp but she "forgot". First they wer going to do the clamp. Then they came out, an hour later and said the harmonic balancer needed replacement. I thought I was going home. They came out and said the harmonic balancer was "frozen" on and took longer than planned. Then they came out and told me I needed 2 Cats and could come back another time. I decided to keep reading my book which was real good. My wife called on the cell and told me about the little light that keeps coming on. I mentioned it to the SA and it was another hour. Then there was a line to wash vehicles. It's real dirty up here this time of year and takes longer. I guess it was a chain of events that led to the long problem. I have a 2002 E Class that is next to perfect. I do not think that I will replace the ML with another ML due to all these problems.
which dealer did you go to? and who was the SA.
Sounds like a good SA to me

·
Registered
2000 ML320
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foreign Motors West. Bob Swanson.
Yes, originally he scheduled me for only the clamp. They were accomodating to do all the other stuff while I waited. I guess it took longer than they thought. It was a great opportunity to sit and read a good book, King of Torts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts