Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the oem backup camera/nightvision being released for the 08 C-Class? my friend has a contac and I am ordering it probably in the spring.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Has anyone heard of the oem backup camera/nightvision being released for the 08 C-Class? my friend has a contac and I am ordering it probably in the spring.
so far the latest intel is that you will need to wait until late summer to get the backup camera option from mercedes. In the meantime we have been retrofitting the low-light camera into the C for the dealers.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a night vision camera? Who makes that camera? It looks good. I thought the camera supposed to be position in the center. It looks good from the photos, Where did you purchase that?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is that a night vision camera? Who makes that camera? It looks good. I thought the camera supposed to be position in the center. It looks good from the photos, Where did you purchase that?
The camera is made by kenwood. It is low light which means that it will provide a clear image even in relative darkness but it is not to be confused with a night-vision (FLIR) camera which cost upwards of $4K. Alot of cameras are advertised as night-vision when they are really low-light. The OEM camera position is off to the right (as the trunk release handle is in the center). There is a square next to the release that looks like a camera might mount there but there is actually a fastner located underneath. If you really wanted you could mount the camera in that square but it would require a bit of cutting to do.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can this be a DIY project? If we just purchase the camera from you rob13572468 ?
The camera could be DIY if you are sufficiently technically inclined. There are wires that have to be run from the trunk up to the command unit. The big issue is that the radio needs to be programmed for rear camera function and while we do this in house with special software the only current DIY solution is to purchase the navtv w204pgm piece which is a little box that does the programming for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The camera could be DIY if you are sufficiently technically inclined. There are wires that have to be run from the trunk up to the command unit. The big issue is that the radio needs to be programmed for rear camera function and while we do this in house with special software the only current DIY solution is to purchase the navtv w204pgm piece which is a little box that does the programming for you.
I wonder if the programming can be done by local MB dealers?

Do you have the DIY step by step manual on how the camera can be install?

In the event the local MB dealers can't do the programming can the w204pgm automatically pops up the screen during reverse? or It has to be done manually? and does the w204pgm automatically close the screen once you put it in Drive?

Any guys here with experience using the w204pgm?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great install Great job looks like the camera covers alot of area. I thought it just plugs behind the Radio?

·
Registered
149 Posts
how does the w204pgm work when it's install with a backup camera?

Do we need to activate it during reverse? for example the MM screen is tuck away does it pop up automaticallly once we put it in R and goes back to it's original position once we put it in D?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wonder if the programming can be done by local MB dealers?

Do you have the DIY step by step manual on how the camera can be install?

In the event the local MB dealers can't do the programming can the w204pgm automatically pops up the screen during reverse? or It has to be done manually? and does the w204pgm automatically close the screen once you put it in Drive?

Any guys here with experience using the w204pgm?
Here is how the camera function works: All 2008 c class with the multimedia command have the rear camera capability built in but not turned on. The issue is that the dealer no longer has the ability to program individual settings on the newer platforms: your feature list is tied to your VIN and the SDS machine that the dealer uses to program your vehicle will only program what feature you already have. So the trick is to get the camera feature programmed so that you can use it. Currently there are two ways to do this: You can come to me and I can turn the camera on for you or you can get the navtv module which is basically a little programmer that allows you to program the camera feature yourself. The pgm unit is a nice little piece and Ive put one in before for a client that wanted to be able to program the camera and video features at will.

Once you have the camera programmed then its just a matter of installing the camera and hooking it up to the input on the radio. The rear camera works automatically, coming on when the vehicle is in reverse. It only works when the radio is on and the screen is up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The camera is made by kenwood. It is low light which means that it will provide a clear image even in relative darkness but it is not to be confused with a night-vision (FLIR) camera which cost upwards of $4K. Alot of cameras are advertised as night-vision when they are really low-light. The OEM camera position is off to the right (as the trunk release handle is in the center). There is a square next to the release that looks like a camera might mount there but there is actually a fastner located underneath. If you really wanted you could mount the camera in that square but it would require a bit of cutting to do.
Is this the Kenwood CCD-2000?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, thats me doing the programming in the video.
WOW you've done a nice job activating the back up camera without the nav-tv gadget.

How hard is it to install the kenwood camera to the truck and run the cables all the way up to the unit.

I was hoping that even if the MM is down it would automatically pop up when I put it in reverse but it seems that with the nav-tv my screen would have to be in the OUT position before the camera would work as you have explained.

In the national treasures movie the screen automatically POPS up during REVERSE. Is this what happens if programing is done to the MM instead of using nav-tv?

I believe you have done both as you mentioned earlier. Please let me know if there is a difference in funtionality.

·
Registered
686 Posts
WOW you've done a nice job activating the back up camera without the nav-tv gadget.

How hard is it to install the kenwood camera to the truck and run the cables all the way up to the unit.

I was hoping that even if the MM is down it would automatically pop up when I put it in reverse but it seems that with the nav-tv my screen would have to be in the OUT position before the camera would work as you have explained.

In the national treasures movie the screen automatically POPS up during REVERSE. Is this what happens if programing is done to the MM instead of using nav-tv?

I believe you have done both as you mentioned earlier. Please let me know if there is a difference in funtionality.
Yeah I know, I saw the chase scene in national treasure too but the camera looks rigged for the movie in that you dont see the mercedes symbol when they start the car and the screen comes up. As far as I can tell the functionality as shown in the movie doesnt exist. I could be wrong and there could be some hidden setting to get it to work or they may change it with programming in the future but the current programming only works with the radio on and screen up. Ill work on it though...

Another thing to keep in mind is that the backup camera functionality is built completely into the radio (well except for the actual camera), and programming is only used to turn it on or off. Whether I turn it on using my laptop or you turn it on using the navtv module the end results are the same. The whole point of the navtv piece is that you have the ability to program the camera yourself rather than drive your car up to our offices which honestly are the only two ways to get it programmed in the world. (well aside from making a 100 million dollar movie ;) )

The camera installation and mounting involves a bit of work: you have to take apart the trunk and remove the plastic trim piece where the camera mounts. The square for the camera isnt cut out so you have to take a dremel tool and carefully cut out where the camera mounts. Other than that the rest of the work involves removing various trim pieces toroute the wiring all the way forward to the radio and then finally there is some wiring the gets done behind the radio. Its one of those projects that could certainly be done by a handy individual who isnt afraid to take apart their car but is probably better suited to having a shop with some experience do the work. Normally a professional shop might take 3-4 hours to do the work wheras DIY could easily be a weekend project.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for all the wealth of informations.

One last thing I read from the other forum that the radio does not accept regular RCA jacks from the Kenwood Back Up camera. Are you familiar with this and what adaptors would be needed to make the conversion.

I got this from the other board and ask my friend to do some translation on it. I'm not sure if back up camera would work but video in motion will as it claims and should cost a little over $200 but problem is their installation manuals is only in German. ( I think for me it should be ok I can get help for translation but my concern is for it to work as back up camera not as VIM )

TV FREE FREISCHALTUNG MERCEDES W204 NTG4 Comand System bei eBay.de: Einbau-Navigationssysteme (endet 17.01.08 21:08:40 MEZ)

TV FREE – Free switch on FOR MERCEDES W204 NTG4 Command System

This interface allows the lifting of the lock-TV while driving.

Fits at Mercedes C-Class W204 with NTG4 Command System.

For this vehicle simultaneous TV / DVD watching and navigation is not possible.

Very simple installation, as Plug and Play.

Easy switch on as power plug only needs to be fit in between Quad block

Current consumption about 40 mAH

1 - 20 of 91 Posts