Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am experiencing an ongoing problem with my backup camera (came with the car, not aftermarket). This doesn't happen all the time, may be 20% or so. Once in reverse, I would sometimes get a black screen (as pictured) or lately I would get a black screen with static lines running. I brought it in for service a few weeks ago, showed to the service guy a video clip I had taken from my phone. According to the service summary, they replaced the "reverse camera voltage supply module". Everything was fine, brought it home, the next day the same problem occurred. It is still intermittent, can't exactly tell when it will happen, but I have been videotaping each time it happens.

Wondering if anyone has had this happened to their W164? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
'08 ML320 CDI
895 Posts
I have a black screen on occasion as well. '08 ML CDI.

I haven't bothered looking into it since I don't really use the back-up camera much anyway. Of course, if there is an easy fix, I wouldn't mind taking care of it :).

·
Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
3 Posts
Black screen camera problem

I had a similar problem with my 2013 S-Class. First it was intermittent and then just always a black screen image. Took it to the MB dealer and they gave me the option of replacing the Backup Camera Controller ($1000) and said if that didn't fix the issue they would need to replace some circuit board at $5000. I declined and took it to a local independent mechanic shop that specialized in BMW and Mercedes repairs.

It took them several hours to run down the problem but it turned out to be a $20 cable. They replaced it and the rear view camera has been working like a charm ever since. I do not have the paperwork at the location I am now or I would tell you the part numbers.

Hopefully, you are having a similar issue and can find someone to run it down like I did.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh Well, my mistake! It is a problem for you !
I ordered a 2015 C300 and dealer promised delivery by end of March.
I am worry the camera may have the same problem, as the C300 is much lower class (2 class down) than your S class. Thanks for post the problem!

·
Registered
2014 GL550
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2013 S-Class. First it was intermittent and then just always a black screen image. Took it to the MB dealer and they gave me the option of replacing the Backup Camera Controller ($1000) and said if that didn't fix the issue they would need to replace some circuit board at $5000. I declined and took it to a local independent mechanic shop that specialized in BMW and Mercedes repairs.

It took them several hours to run down the problem but it turned out to be a $20 cable. They replaced it and the rear view camera has been working like a charm ever since. I do not have the paperwork at the location I am now or I would tell you the part numbers.

Hopefully, you are having a similar issue and can find someone to run it down like I did.

Jim
Was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,206 Posts
I am also now having a back up camera problem, but I think some sort of interference is the problem. When I put the car in reverse with out the car running and just on battery power it works fine and I see a picture and the lines. Once I start my car and put it in reverse with the vehicle running I get all kinds of interference on the screen and the screen is pretty much black. I am thinking some type of noise interference in the line. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2012 GL350 Bluetec, 2012 E350 4Matic, 2006 R350 4Matic
34 Posts
Black Screen

2012 E350 I let my teenager take it for a date. Next day, black screen on the back-up camera. Assuming just a coincidence or did he turn something off playing with the radio? From what I can see the camera settings are on, but all I get is a black screen.

Not that I use it, but I hate when everything isn't working.

It's been a bad week.
Someone cut over 3 lanes on the interstate and smashed the side of my kids R350 in. Totaled
Then the next day someone hit n ran my wife's GL. I have the neighbor's German Shepard guarding my E lol

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,731 Posts
You might try the W212 forum and see if those guys have more info, but I think this car uses COMAND NTG 2.5. If so, there is an option in settings that can turn it off.

·
Registered
2009 ML350 4matic: VIN 4JGBB86E59A491091
183 Posts
I know this thread is a bit dated but seems to be ongoing. My 2009 ML350 4matic periodically has this exact problem. Sometimes the black screen, other times the very saturated color screen. I have noticed that many times (not always) I can open the back hatch, forcefully slam it shut and then the camera output to my Command works fine.

From the posts above, I'm seeing two potential solutions: update camera software or replace a $20 cable. Any other more specific thoughts from the forum? Obviously this is not a huge problem as I've lived w/o a backup camera most of my life but like another poster stated, I like for things to work in my vehicle!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,731 Posts
Sounds like your camera is going back or has a weak connection. I'd pull the trim off the hatch and take a look for anything obvious. If it's the camera itself, you coudl replace it with an aftermarket unit - it's just a standard wide-angle backup camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forgot E code with camera malfunction

My back up camera only works if I have the radio turned on. Started after it sat for a few weeks and continues same way. Black screen when put in reverse IF radio is turned off. Any suggestions?
I forgot to mention that on the dash where the Transmission detail is, there is an E inside a box...much like when you put the vehicle in Drive is outlining a D.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts