Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been reading and reading and have myself completely confused on the backup camera issue. I'd like to do just the back up camera mod. Looks like a few of you have done the camera mod without the vim kit. Would anybody be willing to take the time to outline the procedure for connecting the camera to power and the command unit. I've been jumping around on the threads but it seems like they jump around, so I'm a little confused as to what I actually need and how to make the connections. I think I've got a handle on how to access the command screen to activate the feature, just need to know how to connect the camera. Thanks very very much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron Jr. Is this the method you used for your installation? The main question I have is how the camera feed attaches to the command unit? Is it just one rca plug in the back of the unit that is assigned to the back up camera feed? Is it a special kind of connection, or a simple plug in? The midcity video is easy enough to follow, but includes the vim feature which I think I'll skip.

thanks for your help.

John.

·
Registered
2013 C300 Sport Darth V 3.0
788 Posts
Thanks Ron Jr. Is this the method you used for your installation? The main question I have is how the camera feed attaches to the command unit? Is it just one rca plug in the back of the unit that is assigned to the back up camera feed? Is it a special kind of connection, or a simple plug in? The midcity video is easy enough to follow, but includes the vim feature which I think I'll skip.

thanks for your help.

John.

If you don't want VIM (like me) this is the way to go. Cost is only around 200.00 USD. I went basically this route, I used an Audiovox camera instead of the Kenwood (found locally no order). The connection is a FAKRA and you should be able to get a current VW antenna adaptor from any auto audio store then solder an RCA instead of the standard Anteena jack. I also ran my cable under the door sills I found it easier.

·
Registered
w204 - Black
109 Posts
Its fairly simple & fun :) ...just practice patience. The hardest part (& believe me - its not that hard) is snaking the rca cable from the cabin into the trunk area. BTW, I advise you get an rca extension cable to make it a lil easier.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Its fairly simple & fun :) ...just practice patience. The hardest part (& believe me - its not that hard) is snaking the rca cable from the cabin into the trunk area. BTW, I advise you get an rca extension cable to make it a lil easier.
Agree with you on the hardest part, but even that wasn't bad. I was surprised how easy it is to get the command out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the scariest part to me...messing with pulling out the command unit..it just looks so untouchable, but the mid city video makes it look like the air vent section just pops out with a little leverage and then a couple of screws to release the command unit.
If I understand the information so far, the camera receives it's power and on/ off control from the wiring to the reverse light, and so the line through the car up to the command unit is strictly just the video feed?

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's the scariest part to me...messing with pulling out the command unit..it just looks so untouchable, but the mid city video makes it look like the air vent section just pops out with a little leverage and then a couple of screws to release the command unit.
If I understand the information so far, the camera receives it's power and on/ off control from the wiring to the reverse light, and so the line through the car up to the command unit is strictly just the video feed?
You've got it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts