Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went and got my 560SL out of the barn it spent the winter in. It drove all right on the way home, though it does need power steering fluid: had the groan on startup and moving out of the barn. It's got a very slow leak that makes me add a bit every several months.

So, PS fluid, oil change, and then I get to diagnose a couple of things: the driver's side window doesn't work (though the passenger side does), and the cruise control is inop. Since I'll have plenty of time to piddle around on it, it'll also finally get all of the fuses replaced and the contacts brightened up with a Dremel and a wire wheel. Won't be pulling the hardtop off just yet: I want to give it a good wash first.

So how's everyone been?

·
Registered
99 SL500, 88 560SL, 97 S500, 87 BMW 635 CSi
65 Posts
Right there with you. I stored mine and knew I would need to do something about smoke from the exhaust when cold and oil fumes coming off the engine when warm.
So I'm thinking new cylinder head gaskets. None of my other Benz's leak fluids, so this is a must fix.

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The window was easier than I thought: bad switch, tested by swapping sides. The bad switch, sure enough, was aftermarket. Bought two Febis at AutohausAZ for $8.50 each, will keep the existing good one as a spare.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,525 Posts
Permission to drive......non essential driving can attract a $1000 fine here at present thanks to the effing virus.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,525 Posts
The window was easier than I thought: bad switch, tested by swapping sides. The bad switch, sure enough, was aftermarket. Bought two Febis at AutohausAZ for $8.50 each, will keep the existing good one as a spare.
Those switches can be renovated... I tried and little balls and springs went I know not where :mad:
Can't remember who did it successfully.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,874 Posts
In Ireland it's up to €2,500 fine and even prison - unless you shop for groceries and a few other exceptions....

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
317 Posts
Nothing official about not driving here in Ontario but our police have strongly discouraged it. A few folks assume the police are busy and have been racing around town. They caught one gent doing 180kph in a 60 zone. I just heard from the storage folks that they’re all coming out for pickup on the 25th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
Nothing official about not driving here in Ontario but our police have strongly discouraged it. A few folks assume the police are busy and have been racing around town. They caught one gent doing 180kph in a 60 zone. I just heard from the storage folks that they’re all coming out for pickup on the 25th.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I returned to Canada from the USA 10 days ago and am under legal quarantine for another 4 days. The border agent told us we were subject to a $1 million fine for violating the quarantine! (Good luck collecting that!) The number is so preposterous that it’s hard to take it seriously, although the situation surely is.
The quarantine is a stay-at-home order but I have interpreted that to mean stay on my own property, which is large enough for me to walk for exercise. Still, I feel a frisson of guilt as I approach the public road. Strange times.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
317 Posts
I returned to Canada from the USA 10 days ago and am under legal quarantine for another 4 days. The border agent told us we were subject to a $1 million fine for violating the quarantine! (Good luck collecting that!) The number is so preposterous that it’s hard to take it seriously, although the situation surely is.
The quarantine is a stay-at-home order but I have interpreted that to mean stay on my own property, which is large enough for me to walk for exercise. Still, I feel a frisson of guilt as I approach the public road. Strange times.
I thought the border guy was telling tales but it turns out maximum fine is indeed $1MM! (Or $710k USD currently).

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,874 Posts
Ouch! That's almost counter productive as it seems unreal - I can imagine getting a fine of say $2k, which would hurt, but $1m is just so out there it's hard to relate to.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
I still volunteer on the Busby Outreach truck here in Barrie serving the homeless.
So much so....that they offered me a paid job. I turned it down....I'm volunteering for a reason.
Alas...I guess I'm an "essential service". Thankfully I've been a prepper my whole life and have masks, gloves and hand sanitizer in my "apocalypse" bin.
I'm leaving now for a 9 hour shift.
A million dollar fine???
LOL....who the fuck is going to pay that!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Usually it makes more sense to just pay the fine than to fight it. But I’d probably consider fighting a $1M fine before just whipping out the checkbook for that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts