Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a mod on the dash of my car. It took a few months of trial and error and a bit of re-engineering. I have it looking near stock with the new burl wood grain and finish. I wanted it to look like it was original. I had to move the climate control and switches around. If anyone is interested I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realize the flash would make it look so dusty. The wood matched pretty good with the oem grain. Fhe finish is a polyester UV cure product I have been experimenting with but it turned out OK. I wanted to get thru a summer and some cold before I put urethane on it to make sure it will not shrink. It has been minimal. I only found 1 name brand radio that would work in this application and it was an alpine shallow mount radio, then I ran across this android on amazon. It's been perfect and it was 120$. I had to move the ac unit and the switches. There is only room for 6 switches without cutting the dash structure. If the radio was 1mm larger it wouldn't have worked. The trim panels are poplar and I've veneered them. I used the switch bracket and mounted to the radio mounting frame I built with aluminum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts