Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference in the back seat space on the E55 vs the CLS55 as it relates to driving 11-15 year old kids in the back seats (girls, about 5' to 5'6")?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Accommodation is a not a problem with e55 as I am a 6.4 ft tall and about 2.1/2 feet wide and weigh about 235 lbs and I didn’t have problems in the back or the front. As for the cls i have not driven or ridden so i don't know -- good luck you can't go wrong with them both
demon_possessed
[}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably very litter for a litter too. :)

But, what is the difference between them...that is my question?

As to whether the E55 holds adults comfortably in the back seat, I guess that has to do with how far back you put the front seat...I am 5' 10", but tend to put the front seat about 90% back...maybe more. I know in my CLK55, that I have to move up to uncomfortable levels to fit the kids these days (not so a few years ago, when they were 8-10).

I think the space in the back of the CLS is consideably smaller than the E class, but some dealer was trying ot sell me into a used CLS and out of a new E55.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...according to the Autotrader.com side by side comparison, the back seat legroom of the E55 vs the CLS55 is as follows:

Rear Legroom 35.6 inches vs. 35.0 inches

Looks tighter than that to me?

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
SoxFan - 4/6/2006 3:47 PM

What's the difference in the back seat space on the E55 vs the CLS55 as it relates to driving 11-15 year old kids in the back seats (girls, about 5' to 5'6")?
I can tell you that if the girls get much taller they'll never be able to get in a CLS in the first place. Maybe the front seat, unless they get taller than 5-10 or so, and then even that's out.

The E-Class, no problem, front or rear. It's a dramatic difference, esp given that they're on the same platform. The reason, of course, is the dramatic styling.

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
The room in the back seats by the numbers might not be that great, but the E55 has more usable space in the rear then the CLS55. Being 6'3" not too many cars can accomodate me extremely comfortably, but I did sit in the back of a CLS55 and was ok, but I would hate to have to ride in the back everyday. However I found that in the CLS, don't know about the E, while I put my seat back, I didn't have to put it all the way back do to the low form for the foot well and steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
Well, Banana, I'm also 6'-3" and I don't know how you did it. I could barely get in the front seat of the CLS. Wasn't too bad once I got in, but the door opening was the major problem. The rear seat? You must be some kind of contortionist! [:)]

·
Registered
108 Posts
yep i am 6'1" and the rear seat of the CLS is really tight in the headroom area compared to the E. The CLS's sloping rear roof line is the reason. Adults will not like rear in the CLS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No comparison..e55 is better in the back. And for kids especially since they will have a very difficult time seeing out that little sliver of a window in the cls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear Seat

CLS rear seat fits very small. The E has much more usable room. As for the front seats. The front seat in the CLS moves back far enough for Shaq to fit in it comfortable. Seriously I was there when he tried it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I think the comfort in back is actually two fold.

1.) You lose ~2" of headroom in the back (and the front!)

2.) Because the CLS is "shorter" overall, you have to bend down further to get into it as well.

·
Registered
2006 E55
5 Posts
I am 5'11" and sat in them both before choosing the E55. While the CLS is very sexy (from the outside), the source of its sexiness (the sloping roofline) makes it a pain to get in and out of the car. I have co-workers who are 6'4" that are quite comfortable in my car, front and back seats. If you are worried at all about comfort for your backseat passengers, go with the E.

·
Registered
Renntech E55
5 Posts
I'm 5'10" and looked at both cars before I bought the E55. I had a buddy 6'1"sit behind me when I was at the wheel of the CLS and well.......I bought the E55.
My CL500 had more back seat. What the heck are the engineers thinking, it should have been a coupe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts