1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 mercedes sl320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not sure if this is w-202 or 201.

it is 1994 c220

here is the deal. since my last mercedes the sl500 that i had about year and half ago and i sold it. i have been buying bmw's , i came across this benz that look like it can be a good fixer uper so i grabed it for a great price.

i bought the car 2 days ago. will start and runs okay. black smoke specially when i go fast and rough idle. drove it home and parked it. yesterday morning went to start the car and nothing. will crank fast but no start.
i was assuming maybe it has some sort of kill switch so i played with everything trying to get it to start and nothing.

now it is cold and windy so i can't hear if the fuel pump is running or not. after i went through the hole forums and read everyone threads. i am gonna start with changing the plugs and fuel filter and check on the pump to make sure it is working.

will need a lot more help. so i will be back for more questions as soon as i get the car to start.
so far, windshield wiper don't work. blower motor don't work. turn signal sometimes work sometimes doesent , car have a new trans just put it for $2400.

here is some pics of the car along with my bmw collections. :)

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
Welcome! the 94 C220 is a W202. Make sure you check the condition of the wiring harness, MB used a faulty material in 94-95 that caused tons of problems because the material would degrade after a few years. You might check the mult-function relay also, not sure on this model but it may control the wipers and the turn signals.

Car looks good! Hope you get her running.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
nice looking w202. how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? and how much have you put into it thus far?

·
Registered
1997 mercedes sl320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the car have 200,000 miles and i payed $900 for it . clean title. the ladie just put a trans in it past FEB and she payed $2400 for it.

so far i just put some oil and i went and bought the fuel pump relay today for $20 for a used MB parts shop but nothing. fuel pump is not working yet

first thing i did when i got the car was check the harness. it looks alright. don't look crispy as fas as i can see and i really don't want to start to mess with the engine harness unless i have to or at least make sure that's my problem

tomorrow i am gonna jump the fuel pump. hook positive to it from the battery and see if it will work. if it does then i have wiring problem. if it doesent. then i will get a good used one from ebay. i seen them for really cheap

·
Registered
W202 C240 T Wagen
6 Posts
Mate . . . check the pump first before anything else. The ECU logic ought to have it running for 20 seconds if you just 'light up the dash' prior to cranking. If you can't hear the pump running, check the pump harness for its connectivity (to find out which is the positive and negative posts on the pump) and, disconnecting it, run a 12v positive supply and an earth to the pump directly to see if it does actually run. If it still doesn't run, there's your likely problem.

If 'hot wiring' the pump does make it run, check next if you're getting power to the pump in the 'start' position of the ignition switch. If you aren't, then check the fuel pump relay. When you check the relay, also check the relay mounting block to make sure that the earth socket is, well, actually earthing, or that the power and switching sockets are, well, powering and switching. And, please, USE A MULTIMETER and NOT a testlight when performing the checks.

Mine had an issue in that a fault in the immoboliser (also tracked down to a dud earth) was not allowing the pump relay to earth. Hence, no switchy and no power to pump and no fuel. Bypassing the earth (temporarily) got me out of strife.

90 percent of 'non starts' in injected vehicles are fuel supply related.

If, though, all that checks out, your next port of call is the crank angle sensor. It ought to be reading 1 ohm when powered up (technically it reads in a wave form, but the frequency is such that 1 ohm on a multi will conform it's OK).

After that, given you've got some other electrickery issues, and the fuses and relays all check out, you may be staring at front wiring harness issues.

Either way . . . keep us all posted on your progress. It's a neat lookin' 202.

·
Registered
1997 mercedes sl320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ thanks for all the info and the warm welcome, info where a great help .

2 wires going to the pump , a red and brown. i jumped the red wire straight to the battery and crank the car. and voula. started right up. i can hear the pump when i jumped it.

so now where do i go from here ?
still very rough idle and black smoke. i am gonna go ahead and do spark plug and fuel filter over the wheekend. then we will see how she runs.

as far as the pump. is it okay to rewire it to the ignition ? because the way it is set up with the fuel return line. i will assume that the car will never be flooded even with the pump on all the time when you turn the ignition

unless i can get to the buttom of this problem fast

again. thanks everyone to all the info

oh ye. i found this too. i am thinking on buying . another car to play with.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2078523557.html

·
Registered
W202 C240 T Wagen
6 Posts
I wouldn't be 'rewiring' as a long term solution. In an emergency and short term to get home from somewhere? Sure. But, 'tis far better to simply and properly fix the fault. It sounds to me like you can still chase down the fuel pump relay to see if it's switching (could be all it is that wrong and you're done . . . and all for want of a $6-00 relay).

I was thinking about your rough idling and smokiness the other day . . . have you checked the MAF sensor? Sounds like it's behaving a little like when they flame out. Maybe give it a clean (use proper MAF Cleaner stuff only) and see, or swap a new one in. I don't think changing the plugs is gonna do it (or, if it does, it will only be temporary. Maybe they're getting fouled because the MAF is cactus and it's reading uber rich as a result).

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
BTW, I love your 635csi and 850i. Two of my favorite BMW coupes. Do you drive them often?

·
Registered
1997 mercedes sl320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't be 'rewiring' as a long term solution. In an emergency and short term to get home from somewhere? Sure. But, 'tis far better to simply and properly fix the fault. It sounds to me like you can still chase down the fuel pump relay to see if it's switching (could be all it is that wrong and you're done . . . and all for want of a $6-00 relay).

I was thinking about your rough idling and smokiness the other day . . . have you checked the MAF sensor? Sounds like it's behaving a little like when they flame out. Maybe give it a clean (use proper MAF Cleaner stuff only) and see, or swap a new one in. I don't think changing the plugs is gonna do it (or, if it does, it will only be temporary. Maybe they're getting fouled because the MAF is cactus and it's reading uber rich as a result).
i already bought a relay from a local junk yard out of 98 c280 i think. same exact one i have. color and parts number. and still nothing.

as far as the maf. i am hoping to buy that car with bad trans so i can swap parts around and check if it is maf or maybe bad o2 censor ?
i don't know anyone with a c class so i can swap parts around. i will try and get a video of it running.

·
Registered
1997 mercedes sl320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, I love your 635csi and 850i. Two of my favorite BMW coupes. Do you drive them often?
ye i love that 635csi also. payed 9500 for it kansas car no rust 2 owner. just bought an 85 745i turbo also with 2 owners 90,000 miles. i payed 9 grand for that. it's not in the picture.
the 850ci i got it for cheap. one owner florida car. i am having problem with it too. it is running on limp mode. pass side of the engine is not running. so i went and bought a parts car , another black 850 to swap parts around. it's always cheaper to do that .

as far as driving them. i have too many cars. the 6 i only drive it to carshows and sometimes on weekend. and the 8 i haven't drove it yet

just got an IX e30 for winter beater. and i have like 20 some e36's i play with. fix them and resell them

thanks for the compliment. i am a huge car guy. one day i want to have a nice guarage with really nice cars in it.

still the 03 and newer SL are my favorite. one of my dream cars.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
what's up with your bumper in the top pic? looks like it was wrecked, and very front and top of fender isn't correctly aligned,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts