Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posteda few weeks ago, outlining my problem. Have doen what was stated...changed Brake switch, checked brake fluid ensor, changed left wheel rear brake speed sensor ( was reading 30000 RPM), and shecked and rechecked with computer. The fault codes given appear to be wrong...then the lights go off for a while...When the temperature is below freezing...warms near frezing, lights go on. Now this is a real mystery, where it says the problems are, are not problems, so it seems, because as soon as the lights are off, everything operates normally.

Now what? At this point, do I have to relplace every part related to the ABS and traction control in hopes of locating the problem? Why is this such a problem in the first place?

right now I am confused, as even the dealer has problems with this...this started less than 2000 Miles ago and this vehical has arounf 70000 mi on it.

Can anyone help!!!! Please, I am in a conundrum.

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had my share of ABS/ETS/.../XYZ problems with this truck. I hope that you went to an MB shop before you started switching things all over. In any case, my experience has been the brake switch, the steering angle sensor, the ABS module, the stability system module and some other control module that was tied to my trip computer. As you can see (and have already experienced,...no sh*t!!!!!), there's nearly an infinite number of reasons for those lights to pop up. My advice is to have the dealer diagnose and resolve the problem. It'll cost you, but if you play nice, you may have to deal only with the cost of the actual problem. I'd tell my SA to investigate but make it clear that you're not going to pay for swapping parts that end up not resolving the problem. They know that these ABS/ETS/.../XYZ thingies are problematic with every year ML, so there's no way you can't work with them on this!!!!!!!!! Good luck and post resolution later.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Back Again BAS/ETS ESP ABS Lights on...and check Engine

Have you check what AAM computer version you have on your ML..? Some of the earlier ML AAMS had defective AAM's that will have random/weird problems with them.

Ask the dealer to make sure your AAM is not one of them..

AC

·
Registered
30 Posts
I posteda few weeks ago, outlining my problem. Have doen what was stated...changed Brake switch, checked brake fluid ensor, changed left wheel rear brake speed sensor ( was reading 30000 RPM), and shecked and rechecked with computer. The fault codes given appear to be wrong...then the lights go off for a while...When the temperature is below freezing...warms near frezing, lights go on. Now this is a real mystery, where it says the problems are, are not problems, so it seems, because as soon as the lights are off, everything operates normally.

Now what? At this point, do I have to relplace every part related to the ABS and traction control in hopes of locating the problem? Why is this such a problem in the first place?

right now I am confused, as even the dealer has problems with this...this started less than 2000 Miles ago and this vehical has arounf 70000 mi on it.

Can anyone help!!!! Please, I am in a conundrum.

When was the last time you replaced the battery?? In my Porsche, when the battery is getting close to the end I have the same tyoe of random error codes. never had the problem with my ML as I have always replaced the battery when it was even close to showing it's age!!

Demosan

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
It would be interesting to know what codes you are getting, but it certainly sounds like a battery problem. The ambient temp. is draining enough volts to set the lights, but not enough to prevent starting the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK...now the lights are mostly off...because it seems to have been colder...yesterday, my wife told me the brake light went on, and the it statred beeping, and the brake pedal went to the floor...mushy, all of a sudden. She pulled over, shut the ML off, and restarted and teh light went off...brakes seem to be normal...Of course the ABS/ETS/ESP lights were on at the time.

I get it the vehical this morning , turn it on, lights go off...check engine light is still on, but that will go off too, as it ussually does when the BAS/ETS.ESP lights go off.

In addition to other posts, I had the battery checked, despite the fact that it is the original battery, and I was told it is very good. Interestingly enough, when this light problem first occcurred, that was the first thing that was checked...the battery, as I had read about the light problem when the battery goes down below 10 volts.

may replace the battery anyway, as it is original to the vehical.

Any guidance as to this new problem?

BTW, I find this forum very helpful, much better information than my Mercedes Dealer or local Indy shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I see this topic is a few years old, but I just had to reply as he's been experiencing the exact same thing as me: I also experience this around freezing temp; when it's 2-5 degr above freezing and wet/slush conditions.
Never during summer, even at extremely wet conditions.

And when the lights come on, the systems stops working. No ABS, no ETS and no ESP. The brakes work ok, but...

This is extremely frustrating...

EDIT: it's a 2000 mod ML270 CDI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts