Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...after several very long weeks and many posts to the forum draining advice from all of you...I HAVE MY G-ride back at home!!..She's well and fine...all fingers and toes..even a NEW Factory front driveshaft to take her into the next generation.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and giudence along the way. I really appreciate your help!

Truck runs a 1000% smoother than when I took her in limping on a bad u-joint, but still not up to my standard. Ordering the rear driveshaft tomorrow. Still have that shake in the rear / transfer case that I've bitched about since I bought the truck and joined the forum a year or two ago.

I can definitley feel the difference in the ride, but wanna take it to the level it was when it came out of the factory back in 1997. Only way I know to do this is to replace the rear shaft to match the front and probably putting that third and last shaft in that you guys keep referring too.

I've learned a lot from all of you over the past month. I've MADE THE TRANSFORMATION, from a speed demon only interested in Porsche products to a LOVER OF THE G!! I treated her like the red headed step child before this experience, but will now pay her the attention to detail she deserves...DAMN IT! Never in my wildest dreams did I think a 4X4 would make me so passionate....now I see the light and understand the work to be done...

Thanks for all of your help along the way. Again, you made the difference! I almost gave up and bought a new G, but now understand I am to maintain a piece of history and keep the beast alive! I may end up buying a G55, but will not discard my first G-ride. She's made a believer out of me and I will respect her for years to come.

Thanks again,
ROBERT

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
Welcome to the group - you sound as though you are truly infected now! It only gets better from here on.

Adam

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
It's not a bug you've got. It's just plain good sense. [8D] What else is genuinely fantastic looking, rare and cool as a ferrari, but can still take you through the mud and snow from the mountains to the desert.

...it might not get you through the slalom very fast, but it can still do it predictably.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Robert i feel ya, now if i could just get the light to quit blinking i think all my 9083 problems might be fixed.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
A little test

You can remove the rear drive shaft and drive the truck with the center diff locked. If all your vibes go away, then a new rear shaft will help. If when driving with the rear shaft removed, you still have vibes, then it's likely the center shaft (trans to t-case).

You can also perform the same test removing the front drive shaft just to confirm that the new one isn't still contributing to vibes.

No reason to replace shafts that are perfectly good, nor to accept poor performance from shafts just because they're new.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.K.
Sounds good. Glad to know there a test I can perform to isolate the issue.

Wanna make sure I have this correct. After I remove the rear drive shaft, I push the center lock button and all should drive smooth if my rear shaft is in deed the problem?

I'm not goin to screw anything up doin this.. right? Anything I need to make sure I do before or after the test? Please don't let me FU*! anything up. My wife is already having a real good time with the whole "Order the parts from Germany" thing.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Help from 463 guys? Brent? Dutch? TH? Harald (if your fingers aren't sunburned)?

I'm not aware of anything that could be damaged by running with the drive shaft out and CDL locked up.

But you're right to be cautious and since I don't own a 463, you should get some confirmation from folks who do. And in the end, it's your decision to do, or do not as you're comfortable with.

It would suck to blow an $8,000 transfer case trying to save money on a $1000 driveshaft.[:(] Not that I think there's any chance of that, but as I said, you're right ot be cautious. It's YOUR baby after all.

All the best,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
No Personal Exeperience

or knowledge on this one; but I certainly agree that caution is the word here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts