Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

What are the board's thoughts on baby blue, yellow, or red 123 models (especially with the matching hubcaps)? If the car is original and in excellent condition - would you mind driving around a bright colored car? I am a straight man, and I would rather drive a car that is in nice, classic condition - but what do you all think of these colors?

Thanks for your attention to my stupid post.
-pu

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Provided the colors are factory original – including wheel covers – you will be driving a classic Benz and will more than likely make others envy you if the paint is in excellent condition – it will in no way reflect on one’s masculinity.

Your post is not stupid, btw…

(…but I’d refrain from using your initials from now on…[:0][:I])

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
The 123 is a pretty gender neutral car. Any color works well. The only "woman" car around my place is the new Volkswagon Beetle. (I know ill get flamed for that one) Dont see any guys driving those. My favorite color W123 color would have to be forest green.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
This is a timely post as I just got to work and saw the new guy leaving in what appeared to be a pink geo tracker [:0]

It is also timely because I just got a Mercedes Benz brochure from 1984 (my car) and it lists all the standard paint colors in it. I think they all look great. Nothing too girly but nothing I think a girl wouldn't like either (hmm..except maybe moss green [;)]) There isn't really a yellow, sahara yellow is the closest but it is more tan. and biscayne blue is the closest to baby blue but it is more grey. If you want to look cool in a red one you can just drive like the car in the first attached picture [:D]

If you are really worried about the color of the car I guess just go with black. But really all these colors look great with the black and chrome trim.

I really love this brochure, best $5.99 I ever spent!

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Any color is NOT bad looking in a W123, all of them are great! However, im partial to the "Silberpfeile" (Silver Arrow) look myself, as u can see why

A

·
0 Posts
yup, number 735, astral silber, thats the one exactly. too bad some a[}:)][}:)] painted like 5 maaco 149 crap coats on her......oh well, at least she cant rust, EVER!!

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
mikec92117 - 4/28/2005 12:21 AM

This is a timely post as I just got to work and saw the new guy leaving in what appeared to be a pink geo tracker [:0]

It is also timely because I just got a Mercedes Benz brochure from 1984 (my car) and it lists all the standard paint colors in it. I think they all look great. Nothing too girly but nothing I think a girl wouldn't like either (hmm..except maybe moss green [;)]) There isn't really a yellow, sahara yellow is the closest but it is more tan. and biscayne blue is the closest to baby blue but it is more grey. If you want to look cool in a red one you can just drive like the car in the first attached picture [:D]

If you are really worried about the color of the car I guess just go with black. But really all these colors look great with the black and chrome trim.

I really love this brochure, best $5.99 I ever spent!

Woah that red coupe is movin pretty good, how fast? Ya i just got the ivory(623) on mine. real common on these cars, but i still love my 123 [:D]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Mine is light Ivory as well. I think it's one of the best colors for our climate. Car stays cool even in the sun, and it doesn't show dirt as much as white [:D] I really love the darker colors though. And you know how I love the matching hub caps!

Doesn't say how fast he is going. It is just an article about the engineering of the cars. Talking about the 7 year development of a new car. That they road test new cars over 5 million miles before they go to market. That the ignition switch is test 20,000 times and the outside passenger side mirror is test for 100,000 failure free cycles. It also talks about the styling of the cars and how they are designed not for a season and needing a face lift every 12 months but how they are designed to stand the test of time [:D] A lot of it is just the standard bragging that every car manufacturer uses but it is really fun to read anyway [:)] It has some nice cutaways of the car and motor and suspension too. I would recommend to anyone that you pick one up for your model year. It's like just coming from the dealer and driving home your new car [:)][:)][:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The Manila Beige sample looks a bit different from what is on my car. Maybe when my car is out in the sun it looks different than in the shade. I've always noticed two different tones on my car. Very intriguing.

Mike, thanks for that sample. I REALLY needed that a long time ago but just could not find one. Best I could was a html format and couldn't "eyedrop" the color sample.

Pancho, if you want a real sexy old Benz, the W123 is not the car. Get a W126. The W123 is too classic to be a sexy car, too admiral to be one, too modest if I may say so.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
I think the scan threw the colors off a bit. I'm sure they are right in the book as they were printed seperate to get a pms match and then cut and glued into the book (much cheaper to print this way as to avoid having to print 27 pms colors for each page)maybe a picture is better? But the swatches are on coated paper so there is some glare.

Anyway, I'm really loving the light Ivory of my car, but have to admit Champagne was my first choice [:I]

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
473 is there in the matalic colors. It is called Champagne and is the color I wish I had [:)] But a great deal to go along with a good color isn't a bad combo [;)]

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,679 Posts
Variety The Spice of Life

My 84CD is Blue Green Metallic 877 (Petrol). It did belong to a woman (original owner) B4 I got it. I think it's a great color. The mild factory blue window tint really complements the color. Seems sort of Emerald. Black is beautiful, but too hot for the desert, my fave is white. [8D]

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
white never goes out of style, neither do pure reds, blues or blacks. all the "off-color" cars can be dated by the color. remember the original neons? hahaha those zany folks at chrysler...

i like this glittery gold/burnt orange theyre fond of now(ive seen it on late geos and kias), itll look great in 10 years... about as great as gold lame' stretch pants and a sequined sweater tied at one corner.

i dont think id be shamed to drive any color car, allowing that it is in good shape and isnt dented or anything. my neon is "deep amethyst pearl" royal purple! ive never been picked on personally because of it, but i have been "victim" to 3... yes...count them *3* acts of road-rage! i do believe the color had something to do with them. people most likely think its a "homos car" and try to make me bend over for them and when i wouldnt, they would run their cars into me to get me out of their way! hhahaha looking back now, i still feel i had the right-of-way. anyhoo...

yeah i think the dated colors on these cars are great! exception being...forgive me karugs... puke beige. maybe a better term would be cigarette butt beige? i dont know, im not fond of silver either, its all too common. my personal car is white, and just as the name says, it never goes out of style (classic white) my mother wont have a white car, shes had two in a row and been in an accident in both of them!
she thinks white cars are jinxed(remember my rear end accident...she still uses that as an excuse to not ride in it! i tell her that its accident out of the way so now its safe again!

nice thread-- i have to wonder why you mentioned youre heterosexual, though. if looking gay is on your priority list, might i suggest a silverado 4x4 club cab with a lift kit? if you are worried about what other people think *that* much that you question a cars color, you might not want one of these cars, theyre different. not dodge "different" ,really different.. you WILL be stared at, you will be talked to by strangers at filling stations and you will have to drive differently (atleast in a 240, you will)

a note on the matching hubcaps-- i was looking around and found that these things cost as much as the alloy wheels do! maybe its because theyre branded with the logo and cant be bootlegged?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey - thanks for your responses. I agree that a 123 looks good in any color, given it is in good shape. I am looking at a light blue '79 model tomorrow - and I just wanted some thoughts as to these fun 70s colors.

It doesn't/shouldn't matter that I'm straight - sort of stupid on my part. In general, I could care less what other drivers think, but I wanted some feedback from the board.

I might enter this 'club' soon. I'll probably post with questions once I go and see this car. 190K in great exterior and interior condition.
-pu

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I wish my car was yellow. [:D] I think my color is 923. Its like a charcoal.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Schmohey - 4/29/2005 1:00 PM

For some reason, that 473 does not look anything on paper and on the real car...
That’s true. Here’s my car with color 473:

here’s a yellow coupe:

I don’t know if this was the color the thread author had in mind but I like the color a lot:

Edit: Sorry, forgot the quote...[:I]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts