Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350, 2005 AMG E55, 1998 E320, 1993 300CE CV Wide Body Twin Turbo
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a couple of small things and wanted to share.

- Center console convered to a 7" VGA Touch screen
- Installed glove box, moved A/C and the buttons above it into the glove box
- Two tone leather dark grey on original light grey (still needs a little work)
- Changed the old cracked wood to a new marble design trim
- Installed chrome gage rings
- Billstien sport shocks, H&R spings
- Custom Euro lower trunk piece
- 94-95 headlights
- 6K bi-xenon headlights, 3K xenon foglights
- Shift knob
- Pioneer stereo
- Removed headlight wipers and replaced the piece with holes
- 94-95 clear tail lights
- Brabus pedals
- Euro hazard triangle in the trunk

Stay tunned MUCH MORE to come... And please let me know your opinions...

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C280, 2000 Mercedes E320 4-Matic
373 Posts
Hey man that car looks pretty sweet. Got a couple of questions for you. Did youdo the work or was it outsourced? Also, can you post some pics of where the AC countrols are now. Thankz man!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benzkid89 said:
Hey man that car looks pretty sweet. Got a couple of questions for you. Did youdo the work or was it outsourced? Also, can you post some pics of where the AC countrols are now. Thankz man!
Thank you.

More pics to come tomorrow.

But to answer you questions, most of the installations I did my self. My friend did the refinish of the trim, my other friend did the apholstery, and my other friend pretty much did the trunk and the screen bezel. I did the rest.

I almost forgot, the stereo, another friend. :)

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C280, 2000 Mercedes E320 4-Matic
373 Posts
All right man can't wait to see those pics and i am assuming that trunk was more than just a euro drop. Any way to get some info on how your boi installed it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Benzkid89 said:
All right man can't wait to see those pics and i am assuming that trunk was more than just a euro drop. Any way to get some info on how your boi installed it?
Sure thing.

The trunk.
We shaved that black plastic strip to be flush with the trunk and attached the euro plastic license plate piece to it. Glued, bondoed, epoxied, and puttied all togather, sanded down and primered. So it ataches the same way as before with the exceptions of the 2 very outer screws (1 left and 1 right). That's about it.

·
Registered
1988 300 E
132 Posts
Nice....very very nice. I like the center Video Console !!

Question: Where did you source the "Euro hazard triangle" ? I want one and have been looking with no luck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
988 Posts
zudeck said:

Question: Where did you source the "Euro hazard triangle" ? I want one and have been looking with no luck.

Thanks.
I would think it's just a normal, generic hazard sign for when you experience problems on the motor way. The sort of thing like a traffic cone, not hard to find. Unless Merc's version is a "special size" with uber platniarchosuperreflectiveinium glazing that's made of superdurableunbreakableplasticinium...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
zudeck said:

Thanks.
Thank you.

You are correct it was VERY hard to find, and even harder to purchase. US version is a bit cheesy IMO. The Euro triangle I got from UK ebay. I was bidding on 8 or 9, of which 6 canceled my bid because they didn't want to ship to US, the other 1-2 couldn't figure out the shipping after I won. So I got very lucky because the one that did get to US happened to be the W124 triangle. It's different from all other models because the trunk on the Cabri is so much shorter that it had to be foldable. There is a clip that you want to get as well that nearly imposible to find. We are still working on the custom mount with the clip over the carpet inner cover. Will post picks very soon.
So if you want one, try ebay.co.uk, worked for me.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
Well done, that looks very good, but where are the centre console buttons?, surely you need them.

Just get some rims for the car too!.

·
Registered
1992 W124 300ce sportline , {1992 W201 2.6 (totalled) }
395 Posts
Babushka said:
I just finished a couple of small things and wanted to share.

- Center console convered to a 7" VGA Touch screen
- Installed glove box, moved A/C and the buttons above it into the glove box
- Two tone leather dark grey on original light grey (still needs a little work)
- Changed the old cracked wood to a new marble design trim
- Installed chrome gage rings
- Billstien sport shocks, H&R spings
- Custom Euro lower trunk piece
- 94-95 headlights
- 6K bi-xenon headlights, 3K xenon foglights
- Shift knob
- Pioneer stereo
- Removed headlight wipers and replaced the piece with holes
- 94-95 clear tail lights
- Brabus pedals
- Euro hazard triangle in the trunk

Stay tunned MUCH MORE to come... And please let me know your opinions...

Looks nice !!

I noticed you replaced the original headlights with the 94-95 headlights - are they straight replacements or you need to modification to replace them

I am thinking of getting EURO's for my 1992 CE sportline - but if a 94-95 will fit directly I might as well use those. do lets us know.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vili1982 said:
Well done, that looks very good, but where are the centre console buttons?, surely you need them.

Just get some rims for the car too!.
Thanks.

As I mentioned in the list above, I moved the A/C unit and all the buttons into the glove box. Will post pics.

Rims already purchased, just waiting on the wide 500E fenders.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
StarGazer said:
Looks nice !!

I noticed you replaced the original headlights with the 94-95 headlights - are they straight replacements or you need to modification to replace them

I am thinking of getting EURO's for my 1992 CE sportline - but if a 94-95 will fit directly I might as well use those. do lets us know.
Thanks.

There are guys on this forum that know a lot more about this subject. But I'll try to sum up my research.

94-95 headlights do fit directly, BUT! You would want to change the hood and the grill as well. Also 94-95 headlight US version is plug-n-play, the Euro version has the vacume leveling system and you would need to get the switch and the new panel with the hole for that switch (ebay ~$150). Not to mention that Euro's were a lot more expensive and hard to find.

You could go with the 93 and before, Euro style headlight that is 1 peice. A lot of people here have gone that route. That is also a direct fit and you keep same hood/grill. One thing I am not sure about is the harness on the Euro made lights. In any case not difficult to alter.

I went with 94-95 because I like that look a lot more and so far I only changed the headlight. But the hood is waiting to be installed, just looking for a nice grill. May be will make a custome one.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes-Benz 260E
5 Posts
The center console is looking awesome. By the way, is it legal to have a Euro. license plate in the backgroung? Because, I have one, and I want to display it on my 260E, but I don't know whether or not it's allowed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
babushka, fantastic work.

I'm looking forward to the pics of your buttons in the glove box, as that is the #1 reason I haven't looked seriously at doing a similar mod myself. But let's be honest, I wouldn't go to all of that trouble since I hardly ever drive. I don't have it in me to redo all of the veneer on the wood trim in my car. It sure would look cool though!!

For the touch screen unit you installed, did you have to do anything special to get those buttons along the side to integrate into the trim panel? It looks great.

And the 2-tone leather looks very classy. Not overdone at all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
burdman said:
The center console is looking awesome. By the way, is it legal to have a Euro. license plate in the backgroung? Because, I have one, and I want to display it on my 260E, but I don't know whether or not it's allowed.
Check with your state DMV. In Cali as long as you have a valid plate, in visible location, with lights, I am 99.9% certain that it's ok.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bigpete123 said:
babushka, fantastic work.

I'm looking forward to the pics of your buttons in the glove box, as that is the #1 reason I haven't looked seriously at doing a similar mod myself. But let's be honest, I wouldn't go to all of that trouble since I hardly ever drive. I don't have it in me to redo all of the veneer on the wood trim in my car. It sure would look cool though!!

For the touch screen unit you installed, did you have to do anything special to get those buttons along the side to integrate into the trim panel? It looks great.

And the 2-tone leather looks very classy. Not overdone at all.
Thank you!

Wireing was a b......ch. Some buttons had 2-3 wires and some 15-17 and I didn't want to make any mistakes so I extended them 1 by 1. But at the end all worth it IMO.

For the screen, it's a Lilliput 7". I chose it because it has the buttons on the side already and I didn't have to relocate them. So all we did is took a original trim ( I bought an extra one on ebay for $15) cut out the whole then plugged it the front cover part of the screen, and my friend performed Fiberglass, epoxy, bondo magic. We took a bunch of pics and made a tutorial, it will be on his website soon. I will post the link later.

But for now, here are some more pics of what alot of people asked:

PS: Bare in mind this is NOT FINISHED. We still have to put a thin laptop style DVD unit in there and make a nice clean trim (marble like the rest of the car). So you will only see the buttons and DVD tray all in one cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 W124 300ce sportline , {1992 W201 2.6 (totalled) }
395 Posts
Babushka said:
Thanks.

There are guys on this forum that know a lot more about this subject. But I'll try to sum up my research.

94-95 headlights do fit directly, BUT! You would want to change the hood and the grill as well. Also 94-95 headlight US version is plug-n-play, the Euro version has the vacume leveling system and you would need to get the switch and the new panel with the hole for that switch (ebay ~$150). Not to mention that Euro's were a lot more expensive and hard to find.

You could go with the 93 and before, Euro style headlight that is 1 peice. A lot of people here have gone that route. That is also a direct fit and you keep same hood/grill. One thing I am not sure about is the harness on the Euro made lights. In any case not difficult to alter.

I went with 94-95 because I like that look a lot more and so far I only changed the headlight. But the hood is waiting to be installed, just looking for a nice grill. May be will make a custome one.
Good luck.
Yes, I heard so too -- u can upgrade the front look of a pre 93 300e/ce to a E320/E320 coupe front look with 1) replacing headlights, 2) grille, and 3 hood -
but this is an expensive investment ...
Also the whole idea of a vaccum leveling system sounds nice - but again whole issue of investment..

I have been thinking of just getting Euro's but original Bosch Euro are very expensive and the cheap China version are an insult.
Anyways I think I will have my hands on a headlight like the ones you have...

Just as a suggestion - you could also paint your grey grill insert black - it really look neat too !!

I must say though - you car look excellent !! and I am floored by the amount of work you put in to get the center console and the climate controls - Ingenious !!

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's awesome. I can't wait to see how the trim panel looks when it's done. For my car stereo installation that I've been working on, I had to stick my omnifi head unit (MP3 player with removable harddrive) in the glove box as well as my oversized crossovers for my front 3-ways... So I would need to get pretty creative to find a place for that stuff. I may just get rid of the omnifi system all together though, cuz my ipod does everything it does.

So here's another question. What is that marble finish stuff? Is it a vinyl covering? The other reason I'd hesitate to do what you did is because I would have to redo the veneer. I could maybe get away with redoing it with walnut burl and try to get the stain to match, but that could be a biotch.... maybe less of a biotch than redoing the entire car though!

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
VERY NICE WORK!!!

That is the kind of creative effort that makes this board fly.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts