Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel W210
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can my bone stock 1985 300D, run B5 Biodiesel? I understand that its 95% diesel and 5% biodiesel. Also, I had a complete tune-up and diesel purge done at the beginning of November, I won't have to do another purge really soon if I run B5 will I? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
491 Posts
B5 is such a small concentration, you will see none of the potential side effects a higher percentage might cause. (i.e. filter plugging, rubber fuel line softening, cold weather issues, etc.) What you gain, however, is a huge amount of lubricity. Far greater than what you can buy off the shelf via additives. Way cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
1981 MBZ 240D 4-speed
51 Posts
Before I switched to B100 I had my fuel lines replaced and installed new fuel filters. I'm keeping a close watch on the filters, and so far so good.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel W210
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the replys "Lucky" is currently running the B5 and so far so good. Only 3.09 a gallon versus 3.15 for dino diesel.

·
Registered
'82 300CD
14 Posts
Just curious... Why are you interested in B5? Starting about six months ago, I tried small concentrations of bio-diesel (about 20%) because I didn't know whether my car would react badly. But it was fine. I eventually increased my concentrations to 50%, and now use only B99.

It's more expensive to use B99, but it's great to no longer use petrol-diesel. Bio-diesel has some great advantages, and a few disadvantages.

Advantages
  • High lubricity for your engine and fuel system
  • Cleans the gunk out of your fuel system
  • Minimal dependency on petrolium-based fuel
  • Exhaust smells like donuts and fried chicken
Disadvantages
  • You need to replace all rubber fuel hoses with Viton hoses
  • Loss of engine power by about 10%
  • Lower fuel economy by about 10%
  • Fuel filter gets dirty, but replacing it is simple (I had to replace mine only one time)
I bought a Viton hose kit on eBay for about $115, and changed all the hoses myself. The most difficult part is emptying the fuel tank completely. I ran it down to almost empty, and then drained the rest. It was a little messy, but not nearly as bad as I expected. So you need to replace three hoses in the rear at the fuel tank, and some in the engine compartment.

Honestly, my car runs great, and I like running it knowing that I'm minimizing pollution and reusing vegetable and animal oil. I'm a big proponent of bio-diesel, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to discuss it further with you.

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
491 Posts
Just curious... Why are you interested in B5? Starting about six months ago, I tried small concentrations of bio-diesel (about 20%) because I didn't know whether my car would react badly. But it was fine. I eventually increased my concentrations to 50%, and now use only B99.

It's more expensive to use B99, but it's great to no longer use petrol-diesel. Bio-diesel has some great advantages, and a few disadvantages.

Advantages
  • High lubricity for your engine and fuel system
  • Cleans the gunk out of your fuel system
  • Minimal dependency on petrolium-based fuel
  • Exhaust smells like donuts and fried chicken
Disadvantages
  • You need to replace all rubber fuel hoses with Viton hoses
  • Loss of engine power by about 10%
  • Lower fuel economy by about 10%
  • Fuel filter gets dirty, but replacing it is simple (I had to replace mine only one time)
I bought a Viton hose kit on eBay for about $115, and changed all the hoses myself. The most difficult part is emptying the fuel tank completely. I ran it down to almost empty, and then drained the rest. It was a little messy, but not nearly as bad as I expected. So you need to replace three hoses in the rear at the fuel tank, and some in the engine compartment.

Honestly, my car runs great, and I like running it knowing that I'm minimizing pollution and reusing vegetable and animal oil. I'm a big proponent of bio-diesel, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to discuss it further with you.
Perhaps not applicable to your location, but one particularly big disadvantage would be cold weather use. When it got into the teens here a few weeks back, I had to dilute down to B60. My bio has a cloud point of about 30F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts