Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

B200 Turbo Panel Sunroof Jammed

19K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2006 B200 Turbo with a panel sunroof. Last week when I closed it I heard a cracked and then it closed shut. Now I'm unable to open the sunroof anymore, only the front flap opens and the rear panel doesn't lift up. Has anyone experience this before?

#2 ·
Yes, and there is a repair kit available which may resolve your issue, check some of the threads here for the part number.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
I think the part Mike referenced is for the front deflector which I think works for this poster. He is having issues with the rear panels not moving. Something definately broke, when you heard the snap. Just need to know what. It may help if someone opens their working roof and takes a picture first, before the poster starts moving his pieces around to take pics. Only problem, is you might need to wait a while until most of Canada thaws out before the roofs start opening. Maybe someone in Australia can help.
Cheers,

#7 ·
Hi

Yes I am from Australia. I have asked around at a few places that repair roofs and they all claim its very expensive. between $3000-$6000 . I have located a few Mercedes wrecking yards that have some complete models in stock straight off the car complete. The thing is how do I know if the sunroof im buying is any good? Or should I also replace an plastic clips before I fit it.?

#15 ·
Yeah, same thing in Perth here. My B200T is a 2010 and the plastics... just don't age well in Aussie sun.

Have you tried to crank open the roof? You need to remove the vanity lights panel in the centre of the headliner and move it with a hex wrench.

Mine has one of the rear links broken and still operates but the rear lamella sticks open a little bit.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief... use it every now and then. A mechanic told me that they get stuck when they don't get used.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
These roofs are time consuming to take apart and put back together. I had the front louver bracket replaced and it was a 12 hour job done by an experienced facility. They said the first time they did it, it took 20 hours because it's highly complicated. It's not a do-it-yourself type of job.

I ended up paying around $1500 to get that on thing replaced because a clip broke. It sounds like your issue is more serious and will likely take more time to fix. Let us know what you figure out.

#11 ·
BAF,

I'm not a long term B owner, nor am I knowledgeable about these cars. However, it is my impression that there are two problem areas with the B; sunroof, and CVT. When researching the car before buying (we bought used last summer) I came away with the understanding that sunroof repairs tended towards replacing the whole shebang (technical talk for 'no individual parts, we replace everything) and it costs about $5.000.00.

An alternative is to order a single, solid piece glass roof panel that is glued in. Less glamorous and you lose the ventilation option, but since it doesn't move, it doesn't break. Just a thought. Though if you can find some parts used that would be a smart way to proceed, but the labour part of the repair is something that is a big variable.

I wish you very good luck.

#17 ·
BAF,

I'm not a long-term B owner, nor am I knowledgeable about these cars. However, it is my impression that there are two problem areas with the B; sunroof, and CVT. When researching the car before buying (we bought used last summer) I came away with the understanding that sunroof repairs tended towards replacing the whole shebang (technical talk for 'no individual parts, we replace everything) and it costs about $5.000.00.

An alternative is to order a single, solid piece glass roof panel that is glued in. Less glamorous and you lose the ventilation option, but since it doesn't move, it doesn't break. Just a thought. Though if you can find some parts used that would be a smart way to proceed, but the labor part of the repair is something that is a big variable.

I wish you very good luck.
Is this a new piece of glass something you have tried? I thought the same thing but because of the curve of the roof, I believe it would have to be perfect.

#14 ·
Hiya! I am having the same issue with my sunroof, looking for that tiny little white square piece and after reading multiple forums that there was no hope in finding the piece I thought maybe in the last 5 years someone may have found a replacement!

2009 B200
I have the same problem. I went to a car wash and it pop open when the air dry was blowing to dry the car. Omg!! It was scary
Can i shut my roof with vinyl? Any suggestions?? Thank you
2009/B200

#13 ·
There are a number of threads here that recently posted plastic bit repair kits for the multi panel B Class sunroof. Don't know if your piece is in that group as I don't know which piece it is.

When you are allowed, please post a clear photo or 2 of the needed piece...If in the east, you would find the needed piece in a scrap yard as many B's are ending up there every week.

As an example of a place near where I am...I get these notifications very often....Take your tools there and remove the pieces that you need..

#16 ·
My thinking is that all contacting roof parts in motion including sliding parts should be lubed appropriately...

Proper lube for the plastic bits..and proper lube for any metal moving bits. Keep the rubber seals soft and well lubed as well. The sun 'can and will' cause damage to the rubber and plastics over time. Protect them regularly if possible and park in the shade as much as possible. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant for many plastics in or out of the cars.

#18 ·
Hi. No it is not something I have personal experience with. I also don't recall where I saw the glued glass replacement system; only that it came up as an alternative solution to the factory fix for the lamella sunroof. It was not a random piece of glass, but something specific to this application. Sorry I don't have more info.

Spector bass? Just looking at the reverse P pick up configuration.

#19 ·
The solid panel glass roof (option) was a popular application for the B Class in Europe. Not available as an option here in Canada.
It's a factory installation back then. B Class W245 glass one piece panels in Europe are probably still available over there. Probably insane shipping and buy costs though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.