Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Devon in the UK

My 2006 B class began having issues with starting up last week. It would either turn over but wouldn't start, or it would start and then die immediately. Seemed to be OK when the engine was warm though.

The local garage have replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the issue, but they have said it still sometimes won't start up when cold. If they try it 10 minutes later, it will then start. They are lost as to where to look next - though the electrician is scheduled to put it on a computer tomorrow.

Anybody had this problem? If so, how do we fix it?

Thanks all
Phil

·
Registered
2006 B200T
920 Posts
Hi from Devon in the UK

My 2006 B class began having issues with starting up last week. It would either turn over but wouldn't start, or it would start and then die immediately. Seemed to be OK when the engine was warm though.

The local garage have replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the issue, but they have said it still sometimes won't start up when cold. If they try it 10 minutes later, it will then start. They are lost as to where to look next - though the electrician is scheduled to put it on a computer tomorrow.

Thanks all
Phil
Hi Phil,

Did they replace the fuel pump relay as well, or just throw in a new fuel pump? When it is faulty, it could just be pumping air at times and not always fuel. The pump will work, but the engine may not get fuel.

Are you getting any codes? If a P044X code, it may be a sticking Purge valve. If the valve is sticking, try holding the gas pedal all the way down when starting the car, this will force flood the engine. If this works, then you likely need the purge valve replaced.

Also, try starting the car with the gas tank open, if this works, this could mean that you need a charcoal canister replacement.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2007 B Turbo 200
153 Posts
I am literally crying now. B200 turbo 2007 will never start when it's left outside cold temperature. It already cost me $1100 so far. Still, the problem is not solved.
First, the local dealer changed the OEM battery then the ignition coil. Decided to hand over to Mercedes-Benz, they said, they changed some parts and labor was like $400.
Next morning car won;t start. This is becoming a depression. :-(

·
Registered
W140 '92 500SEL(Sold), W163 '03 ML350(Sold), W245 '08 B180 CDI, '05 Lexus RX330
59 Posts
I know it might be a long shot, but get the crank sensor checked out too. They are cheap to replace. This happened with my ML and the MB dealership immediately diagnosed it as the crank sensor. Good luck, buddy. I feel your pain!

·
Registered
2007 B Turbo 200
153 Posts
I know it might be a long shot, but get the crank sensor checked out too. They are cheap to replace. This happened with my ML and the MB dealership immediately diagnosed it as the crank sensor. Good luck, buddy. I feel your pain!

Something strange happened recently. I changed the gasoline to Ultramar 91 and the car starts right away. It didn't struggle so far, touchwood. Previously I was filling up with Petro Canada gas( octane 91). I always used Ultramar since I bought the car but I switch to Petro Canada gas as the gas station was closer to my workplace. Any Canadian drivers experience this.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,724 Posts
I fill up with whatever station is coming up as needed. No fuel problems yet to report.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from Devon in the UK

Thanks all
Phil
i have the same issue , did u find a solution

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Last time that Phil was here was nearly 2 years back..and no reply..

So no news or feedback with this problem..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have a similar problem, I have the b180 cdi, I bought the car around 4 weeks ago and have had nothing but problems, I put it in the garage because the intercooler pipe had a crack in it and that was the only fault, the mechanic fixed it and also replaced the battery because he found that needed replacing aswel, I got the car back the next day and it was running fine, next day the car wouldn't start, it would eventually start but took about 4 or 5 attempts. So took it back to the garage and it was coming up with a glow plug fault so I replaced all glow plugs. Again car was running fine bt as soon as I left the garage the engine management light came on, again took it back to the garage and it was found the air filter needed replacing, now my car is back to taking 5 attempts to start and I'm getting really pissed off, any body any ideas? I'm thinking it's maybe the computer but I know nothing about cars

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Used B's will be a nightmare...and that is a guaranteed "always"...This is not a Camry or Accord....so be $$prepared$$..

What year is it and who did the previous 10+ years of maintenance..? They will just keep changing parts for you..and on and on and on..

Scans sometimes point in the right direction as to what "could" be wrong.. Did you keep all of the "bad" parts..etc..?..Was it really necessary to change them ?

Better find a good MB honest indy garage from "wherever" you are...and Good luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car is a 06 plate has done 82000 miles, I seen all of the parts that were replaced and to be fair probs did need replacing,
It just seems like it's all been since the battery was replaced, the car started first time every time before the battery was replaced and also since the battery has been replaced I have had display messages like

Unable to read oil level
Display unit fault
Esp inoperable

And it doesn't start till about 5 attempts.

The only thing I can think of is something happened when they changed the battery

·
Registered
B180 CDI Sport 6sp '09
164 Posts
Glow plugs dont even matter when ur starting the car. My car had a faulty glow plug and it started like ussual. My mechanic told me that these cars have no issue even in winter starting on 1 or two bad glow plugs.
Of. I changed mine.

·
Registered
B180 CDI Sport 6sp '09
164 Posts
That's why you dont buy the cheapest version of used german car.
Im trying to sell mine, and everything was maintained as it should, best quality parts, everything new. Its even faster than 90% of the B's. Im asking for a bit more than the lower priced ones. And you know what, only one person came to see the car. and he couldnt find a single fault, he even said it was better than all.of the B's that he saw. But i should take a grand off my asking price whitouth a single reason!
Hah they are even Asking more for the CVT's

·
Registered
2005 B180 CDI CVT
61 Posts
The car is a 06 plate has done 82000 miles, I seen all of the parts that were replaced and to be fair probs did need replacing,
It just seems like it's all been since the battery was replaced, the car started first time every time before the battery was replaced and also since the battery has been replaced I have had display messages like

Unable to read oil level
Display unit fault
Esp inoperable

And it doesn't start till about 5 attempts.

The only thing I can think of is something happened when they changed the battery
Need to get the codes read. Probably installed an AGM battery rather than the standard lead acid.

·
Registered
2005 B180 CDI CVT
61 Posts
Hi I have a similar problem, I have the b180 cdi, I bought the car around 4 weeks ago and have had nothing but problems, I put it in the garage because the intercooler pipe had a crack in it and that was the only fault, the mechanic fixed it and also replaced the battery because he found that needed replacing aswel, I got the car back the next day and it was running fine, next day the car wouldn't start, it would eventually start but took about 4 or 5 attempts. So took it back to the garage and it was coming up with a glow plug fault so I replaced all glow plugs. Again car was running fine bt as soon as I left the garage the engine management light came on, again took it back to the garage and it was found the air filter needed replacing, now my car is back to taking 5 attempts to start and I'm getting really pissed off, any body any ideas? I'm thinking it's maybe the computer but I know nothing about cars
Early B180 CDi don't have DPF and urban driving causes carbon built up in the intake manifold clogging the EGR valve and a faulty thermostat doesn't help either.

From personal experience the engine check light was emission related due to leaky vacuum line (broken Y connector). If you're local, may be someone can read the codes for you. You'll be burning a hole in a pocket if you don't invest in your own code reader. The OM640 engine is pretty reliable, it's just that they fitted into a letterbox engine bay which makes it very difficult to work without lowering the engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts