Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan quit on me while at the outskirts of Philadelphia, stuck on rush hour traffic at almost 40 outside... The dealer on Queensway quoted me around 1k with 3 hours of labour and a new radiator fan assembly (in the WIS you're suppose to take a whole bunch of parts appart but after seeing it, it looks straight forward to take it out: unplug, unlock the clamp, turn it clockwise and pull it upwards). Thank god for the good cooling system on the B, keeping an eye on the gauge and turning the heat on will do the trick until I get this fixed, one way or another. I'm gonna check it out today as even for slight corrosion on the connectors the WIS says to replace the whole unit.... :mad:

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After the dealer's evaluation:

Well, I figured it's worth to take a look at the suction fan (part number A 169 500 05 93 05)...

I have first unplugged the fan (the big blue plug in the upper left corner of the radiator)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Then take out the lower side of the plug and take out the routed cabling.

On the left side there is a little lock that can be released by pushing it down...

Then turning the fan clockwise it will be released from the 3 other tabs (two on the bottom and one on the right side)....

Then the whole fan can be pulled up (about 5 kilograms, be careful)...

A few detail pictures...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan motor...

The control module....

Here I've found that due to excessive corrosion, the power cable broke from the plug and the corrosion also attacked the polimer based compund surrounding the connector...

So I decided to take a peek inside...
I took a 15 torx bit and unscrewed the 4 screws on the control unit...

...then I took the controller out of the fan plastic housing...

...released the tab on the side and pulled it out gently...

....afterwards I have released the four aluminum tabs on the sides...

After applying a bit of force to break the silicone seal, I took off the boxes' cap...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And here's what's inside:

...the circuit...

I have cleaned the cap from oxides...

...clamped back the wire to the connector...

...I have verified the two wires to the motor...

...everything is good there, the clamps are free of oxides....

Afterwards I have resealed the box with black Permatex gasket paste and let it dry thoroughly... I have covered and reinforced the wiring to prevent further oxidation and/or movement...

Looks ugly but it's sealed and firm...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The newly refurbished fan assembly is now ready for installation and testing...

A few pics with the radiator and fan shroud...

Putting it back takes about 10 minutes because of the positioning of the lower tabs on the shroud... about double as for taking it out...

The cable is then gently routed and locked in position, along with the plug...

And everything is back together, ready for testing...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There's the fan waiting for work...

The engine is now at its operating temperature...

I have turned the AC on and voila, back in business!

To make sure everything is OK, I took a test drive at rush hour in downtown Toronto. In stop and go conditions with the AC off, the temperature hovers between 85 and 95, with the max heat on the first speed is a little below 80 and with the AC on max cold, a little above 80... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 C230K sedan, 2007 B200T (both manual)
147 Posts
good job bro... typical for European old school mechanic, we never replace the whole part if it could be fixed... well may be things are different now, but this is how I grew up... you practically fixed it for free. Good for you.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Excellent work!!

·
Registered
06 White B200T
739 Posts
Good to know! Thanks SS.

Anthony

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all! One more thing: in the WIS as maintenance is recommended waxing that exposed connection point. A deadly combination of placing an unprotected connection directly to the asphalt wash-up (the controller faces right downward as positioned in the fan assembly) and Canadian winters with tons of salt can easily damage the unit in no time. A simple design of a rubber boot over that side or some kind of shielding would have been a better engineering. In Europe where sand is used on the roads during the winter it wouldn't be such an issue but here it surely is. Should I blame the French for it? Nah, it's a Bosch European product but definitely they should have studied it better (we can possibly suggest this to them).

·
Registered
2008 B 200
2 Posts
Price for fan from MB in Burlington now $950. plus labour. Went up the food chain and got someone to confirm it is covered under extended warrantee. Sounds like exactly the same problem you had. Would have liked to have tried fixing based on your directions.

Thanks for your sharing solution

gfj007

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,724 Posts
$950.00 is an insane price for that little fan unit. As Samoila showed, the whole unit comes out in a minute.

All Canadian fans should fail after a few salty winters. Whether it be an old unit or a new replaced unit, they should all have an extra coating or seal put over it. I'm just very surprised that more fans haven't failed here yet.

Samoila's repair works and we should all do the extra sealing on the unprotected electrical control box.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
The fan price has increased by $300 in a year?!?!?

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,781 Posts
Excellent thread. Thank you. I'll check this out tonight for sure. Is the area with corrosion visible while the fan assy is installed (mentioned it was pointing down and lots of covers underneath)?

edit: Of course the WIS just wants to keep things simple...i.e. re and re. But 3h to replace? Thieves. Also, it may mention to apply wax, but if the maintenance shedule doesn't list it, it'll never be done until a fan goes.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
To see the start of corrosion on the wires, you would have to insert a light and mirror down below the aluminum (French) control box on the fan unit and look up. It really only takes minute to remove it all.
They are ALL going to corrode if it's the same unit as Samoila's and mine....."just add water" or just add "salty water" and Voila!! ..greenish copper wire corrosion.....

Turn the fan unit counter clockwise a touch and it slips out. Samoila shows how!!

·
Registered
Mercedes B200
3 Posts
B200 Engine Fan

While driving my 2008 B200 the temperature guage was at 90 (normal), then the Thermostat Warning appeared on my display and guage dropped to 80. Shortly after the guage came back to 90 and warning sign went away. Not long after it started over again and kept going up and down with warning light coming on and off. I brought my car to the garage and they told me it was the Thermostat. They changed it for $480+ and discovered that the water pump also needed to be changed. They changed the pump (covered under a warranty program).. finally they said that the engine fan keeps running and needs replacement, explains the noise. Rather than have them change it for $800+ I thought I'd buy the part and change it ourselves since it's not under warranty.

Anyone know what the part number is for this car? The Termostat warning light is still on and the temperature guage keeps swinging from 80 to 90 continuously. The garage says it's due to the fan... I'm thinking that maybe the thermostat and pump were fine to begin with and I paid to get these changed for nothing... frustrating :mad:. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Whenever you have work done at a garage, always look at (and keep) the old parts to verify that's what they have changed. If not the stealer,..then I would consider going to Joe Bassili at 514-344-5183 in Montreal for knowledgeable MB maintenance but I haven't used him yet due to no problems yet.

My early 06 B has this fan # and yours might be the same. Remember that the whole fan unit pops out very easily.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts