Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Noise has been there for a while now (Video Below), at one stage it completely disappeared but then it came back , I don't mean the slipping belt noise when the water hits it .
It only makes it at idle , once accelerating it goes away , annoying when standing at traffic lights .
There is no loss of power or anything with this noise , it's just a noise .
It's the car I bought for my Wife almost a year ago ,Drives flawless other then this noise .
Maybe one of you guys had this noise at some stage as well with a B180 Diesel .
I don't know what is behind that section of the engine down there , alternator/pulleys or a belt .
It's a RHD B180 btw.:thumbsup:

BTW: I still cant believe how fast this little Diesel is every time I get a chance to drive it , nothing like my v12 but for a Diesel ,just amazing I think . :devil

If the Video doesn't show ,On YouTube enter " Merc B180CDI / 08 weird noise " into the Search option .

·
W140 Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not to leave this Thread without the fix of this problem ,here is what it was .
Ended up being the Tensioner mechanism that drives the Serpentine Belt .
It also required an additional Pulley which i believe was a stand alone pulley near the Alternator .
Before this Fix we only changed the Serpentine belt but the noise was still there so after the Fix , i told the MB mechanic that the belt was New & not to change it ,so they only dropped the engine & installed the whole belt mechanism ( pic below),BIG MISTAKE not to change the belt as well.
Not changing the belt as well resulted with the engine making another different noise like as if the Turbo was constantly on (whistling noise) , this was the Serpentine belt .
Today i changed the belt and everything is like new again , drives like a New B180 now ,more power somehow .
Wife is very happy for once lol.
Almost forgot to ad - ( Dropping the engine to install the part cost 460, they accepted $400 cash )

For Reference :
The Part here in Aus.. cost's $758 plus Gst , here is the same part which i'm impressed with , i payed about AU $160 . I also recommend to purchase the smaller pulley ,but it is not expensive $40 au from MB , Serpentine belt $30.
Case Closed .:thumbsup::wink

Gates Belt Tensioner Pulley Alternator for MERCEDES W245 2.0 CDI W/Ac B180 B200

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
ahhh mannnnn I should arrived earlier in this thread and tell u the problem

I had the same problem too

and yes, it was the tensioner and the noise disappear.

it cost me around USD95 or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thread revival, but seems to be a common problem. This is how we did it and the mechanic has a done a few:

We didn't disconnect or remove anything from the engine bay.
We removed all the subframe bolts, front and rear.
We removed the two rear engine mount bolts.
We lowered the engine from the rear using two support stands which allowed enough access to remove the front top three bolts of the tensioner assembly block.
The ac compressor does not require disconnecting and the alternator can be hung by zip tie.
The new tensioner is pre-tensioned with a pin and removed after installing the belt.

This job took us an hour, however wasted time because the mechanic was routing the v-belt incorrectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
W245207
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing