Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm ready to change my car and i was thinking the B 150 automatic.

My main concern is if the engine can move the car decently for a trip.

Since, i will not have any other car, i have to be sure that we will be able to travel with that car.

Is there any owners of B150 that can provide a feedback regarding the driving experience in high ways?

In addition, my other alternative is a Audi A3 1.4 automatic which cover my
needs regarding the power but i'm not sure if the trunk has enough space to fit stroller, kids equipment and luggages.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Hi vpapous, Welcome to our merry group!

Good luck in your car shopping.

The B will certainly carry all of your gear and then some. Much more room than the A3 but no AWD(Quattro) available on the B class yet.(maybe in 2011)

Previous posters and testers have shown that the B150 lacks power in certain circumstances. Canada only carries the 200 and the 200 Turbo.(possibly for those reasons).
Where are you at?

Derek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm at Greece but i don't have any option to change it.

If i decide to go with B class, must be 150 in order to fit in the company policy

The question is that will i be able to travel or it is better to carry smaller gear and go for the A3.

Apart from the kid's gear, i have also windsurfing gear to carry :)....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Is the 1.4 Audi actually any more powerful than the B 150? The B is a far better family car, the Audi is tiny inside, even the wagon version.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I agree with Mike!

Go with the B150 and check out our B Gallery(at the top) and see what goes in.... and on the B roof.

Good Luck!

Derek

·
Registered
4 Posts
A3 1.4 is more powerful car then B150 but B150 also very good during trips. We had same doubts before buying B150 and lastly we choose this and we are happy know. good luck

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
vpapous

Look for some picture from Keith our resident packing Guru. Keith will probably give you more information than the rest of us, he manages to take everything for 4 adults on an extended trip.

Take the family down to the dealerships and have them get in and see how they fit.
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much guys for your input :)

I'm sure that B150 covers all our needs regarding the available space... The car is huge with extremely ergonomical design...

My only doubts are if the engine is capable to move the car in a decent way. And when i say "decent way", i don't expect to run with 150mph but to be able to overpass (i don't know if exists this word:)) an other car in the highway without putting in risk my family:p

Apart from my family needs, i loved this car because you can fold both the back and front seats, so i am able to put inside my surfboards when i am alone:D

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Hi aziyal & welcome to the forum where are you located ??

You seem to have answered vpapous concerns about the car.

Personally I tend to agree with Derek on the power / performance side (having had one as a loaner once and comparing it to my torquey B200 CDI) and with Mike & Bill on the carrying capacity side as you can get a lot in it. However the 150 won't be a sports car by anybodies reckoning and you will probably need to rev that engine fairly hard for the circumstances you have just described.
As the others have said get a good test drive and if it does what you want go for it. I would think with the global financial market at present you ought to be able to get a good price/ deal on any car at the moment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank but....

In Greece, i couldn't find a B150 for a test drive... all the dealers have the B170 available which i drove it but .....

The car is funded by the company i work for.... so there is a very specific car policy which does not allow me to change...

so, my options are: B150, A3 Sportback (5d) or bmw 316....

and since i would not like to take a bmw..... i 'm between B150 or A3 sportback (5d)....

@aziyal

Hi.... how was the experience when you are in highway? did you feel that your engine is seriously underpowered... or it was ok?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Probably aziyal or one of the other members that own a B150 can give a better long term view as I only drove it for about 25 miles to and from the dealers. It did feel underpowered compared to my B200CDI (140 bhp diesel) and obviously being a petrol did require higher revs. I did find that my 1.6 litre Petrol Renault Scenic had a sportier/ livelier feel but saying that the B150 loaner did have under a 1,000 miles on the clock so it probably had some more loosening up to do.

I would still recomend that you do try as hard as you can to get some form of drive in a 150 before making up your mind as once bought you are comitted to it for some time.

Surely the dealer must have access to one even if it is a second hand (used) one for you to try.

Good luck with whatever you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm very near to choose finally B150 since the space that provides seems to be very important according to my needs.

3 years ago i had for 1 year one Ford Focus 5d 1.4 which has similar weight (1250 vs 1300kg) and 80 horsepower (vs 98 of B150). Definetely it didn't have that live feeling but it was more or less ok.

B 150 has more power (18 more), luxurious interior design and much more attractive shape.

I think that i can stand it...

My alternative choise is to take the A3 sportback.. ok, regarding performance it is flying... but the space that provides is limited and it seems to risky....

anyway.. thanks everybody for your input

if anyone wants to add something, feel free since i have to do some papaerwork untill i finally place the order.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did you find the 170? Imagine it, just slower. I know that doesn't help, but the 150 is not a quick car. It's OK around town, but it takes a little time to get up to highway speeds (unless you are on a long downhill on-ramp).

How many passengers will you carry? In my car, it's usually just me, maybe one passenger and so it's all good. I can imagine fully loaded up, it might be a struggle. I have a feeling the auto will suck up more power too, I have the manual transmission.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
In find that even in a 42 HP Renault 5 GTL, one can overtake traffic on a two lane road in total safety, it's all about planning the maneuver well in advance. Close in on the car ahead with a 30 km/h difference in speed and BAM he is passed before he can react (assuming the guy is a dink and wants to prevent a pass).

We used this technique successfully many times in 1984 in Europe (Greece and Yugoslavia too) with the drivers of the 100 HP cars a little surprised.

With 95 HP and high RPM, and a manual gearbox, it should be fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Find way to drive B170

I live in part of country with loads of hills and that kills the B170 a bit C or S modes.

So I start using the gearstick in the following way:
If I get near a hill I hit the stick left, it gears down and then keeping the refs around 3-4000, hit it again if necessary and so on. At the same time I just keep the accellerator pedal at same depth. To gear up the opposite.

Keeping the trottle in one position and chaning power/speed with the gearlever sorted my problem.Somebody driving behind the car will think it keeps up very well...Try this..Would not drive it any other way now unless in town or flat road....Also be wary for always in 6th gear, while you though it was 7th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts