Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 240D, 85 300 TurboD, 94 E320, 97 E320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 E320 Climate Control Diagnostics turned this up. I see in the WIS diagrams that the Climate Control gets information from the instrument cluster through K1. Will not clear, so I would think that it is not just a sensor, rather a control handshake to the instrument cluster. Any advise?

Thanks, nidge

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
97 E320 Climate Control Diagnostics turned this up. I see in the WIS diagrams that the Climate Control gets information from the instrument cluster through K1. Will not clear, so I would think that it is not just a sensor, rather a control handshake to the instrument cluster. Any advise?

Thanks, nidge
K1 and 2 are the twisted pair of wires that are used to send and receive data to and from the AAC and IC. They are not actuators, sensors or control units, just a two way communication path, however like you read in WIS they are not redundant, therefore if K1 goes out the data is not shifted to K2 like a CAN bus.

The AAC unit has default values stored to act on when the K1 and K2 are not communicating. The bad news is that the system will not function as designed----you will notice little things such as read out in C rather than being converted to F; fan speeds etc.

To cure the issue you have to look at the connections at the AAC and IC or when you took out either unit one broke or one became disconnected.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OUTSTANDING Explanation

I'll start by pulling both - you wouldn't happen to know the pin-out on each unit or wire color. Hey, I know that's asking a lot!

Thanks, nidge:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I'll start by pulling both - you wouldn't happen to know the pin-out on each unit or wire color. Hey, I know that's asking a lot!

Thanks, nidge:thumbsup:
There are many year to year changes and although MB may not have changed the K lines, to be correct provide the VIN.

PS: if you have WIS you also have access to all the wiring diagrams!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Plutoe - I was just being a little lazy. I am a WIS virgin (picked it up with the 97) and it's a real pain to navigate. Suppose no time like the present to just dive-in!

nidge

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Thanks Plutoe - I was just being a little lazy. I am a WIS virgin (picked it up with the 97) and it's a real pain to navigate. Suppose no time like the present to just dive-in!

nidge
For wiring diagrams it is very easy,but first make sure the VIN is included before you search.

When it all comes up, go to Literature, then go to Key word search and type in AAC-Automatic----once all the documents come up scroll down to wiring diagrams, make sure its your year and model and then just print the wiring diagram----very easy. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts