Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air filters shown below are from a 2004 C240 that had B-service performed a few months ago by a Southern California MB dealer (Valencia). The car is only driven on weekends.

I check/clear the air filter on my other car (C230) not under maintenance warranty every six months & replace it anually & it never looked this bad.

Now I'm wondering if the dealer performed the other B-service requirements. BEWARE.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
That filter(top pic) looks like it came out of a vehicle working in a coal mine for the last couple of years. :eek::eek:
Your city must have a fair amount of pollution.
My B service was just completed after 2 years and the pollen filter was not replaced because is was still very white and very clean and had 23,000km(15,000 mi) on it.
The engine air intake filter is also original and still looks like new

An interesting note though. My engine air intake filter is only to be changed at 4 years whereas the pollen filter is to be changed at 2 years. The pic you show is the engine filter and during my B service that engine filter wasn't even to be checked.
All B services are not the same. Check your service manual for what's to be changed.

That filter(your pic) is not new by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Were the parts listed on the invoice for the 2 filters?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the process of obtaining a copy of the B-service invoice.

The car, after purchase in 2005, was mainly operated in Lancaster, CA. Lancaster is a small city, but we are located in "high desert" where winds will produce quite large amounts of dust. This dust appears whiteish in air filters, not black as on this filter. I clean & change the air filter on my C230 regularly & never have seen anything like this. The black dirt must have accumulated in area where the car was operated prior to my purchase. Lesson learned for me -- don't trust dealers for maintenance. I wonder if it's not done on purpose.

I contacted Valencia and MBUSA about this, but no response as of yet!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts