Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As is common the B Post trims on the new interior looked bad as it was departing the panel.
I have a couple of MB Beige hides so decided to re-trim them myself.
I wont say it was the easiest of pieces to do due to the concave angles but I think it now looks great.
I used the old ones as templates but cut another inch all round for extra to play with
I did the seat belt slider opening first, then the top and then worked down the length; once you are past half way its quite straight forward.
First one took over an hour, second about 3/4hr

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
They look great and you did a fine job. The time it takes to do the job is well worth the effort. I recovered mine way back when I started my interior swap, shoddy B pillar covers just take away from a nice interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
How do you get the material to stay on the aluminum? Glue? This is one of projects I'd like to tackle one day...as opposed to the projects I still HAVE to tackle! Fortunately, those are becoming a little bit fewer...

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
beautiful work guys!

What type of glue should one use to bond the material to the base? The cover is loose around my seatbelt sliders, and simply regluing should work, but I want to ensure the glue will not distort the material.

·
Registered
1991 300SE W126 Collector owned, maintained 90k mi
177 Posts
adhesive

beautiful work guys!

What type of glue should one use to bond the material to the base? The cover is loose around my seatbelt sliders, and simply regluing should work, but I want to ensure the glue will not distort the material.
Use 3M spray adhesive. Commonly found at all autobody supply shops or online at TCP Global. Make sure you let the surfaces dry before pressing together.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,123 Posts
I used leather and rubber adhesive with success. Wanted it to be a little pliable, partly because of the heat in the car v

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
beautiful work guys!

I used 3M 80 (high temperature) in a spray can, but always make sure you buy a quality spray like 3M as there is a lots of cheap contact adhesive sprays out there that just 'let go after a change in temperature.
This cover only requires gluing around the edges too.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
I like the 3M products, but won't be using a spray as I am leaving the B pillar covers in place, only re-gluing around the belt adjuster, hence would like to use something i could spread on.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
I like the 3M products, but won't be using a spray as I am leaving the B pillar covers in place, only re-gluing around the belt adjuster, hence would like to use something i could spread on.
I used DAP Weldwood when I recovered my B pillar covers and speaker grilles over 2 years ago. You have to brush this stuff on and I found the best drying time is within 13 minutes before you mate the pieces together. Once you have mated the pieces together allow 24 hours to cure and make sure they are set right the first time because you will not get them back apart.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts