Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - when we bought our '97 S320 in early 2010, the B-pillar material was pulling away somewhat in a few spots, mostly at the top or bottom. The pillar pieces could probably stand some new clips, if that's what holds them on, because I can push them in a little and when I let go they move back out a bit. But even if they were to stay in tight, the material has either shrunk a little, or whatever, and there is still a gap between the material and where it's supposed to hide away into when pushed in all the way.

These look like they're very easy to replace, according to Alldatadiy. Has anyone replaced theirs? Does the newer material tuck away nicely ? I'm hoping ours is just material that's shrunk, although I think this car has been stored inside a lot - we're the 5th owners. But there's no way the existing material can stay tucked in place.

I was thinking of replacing with the wooden versions offered, which would up the luxury factor, but it needs to match the existing wood, of course. I think I have burl - I know my '84 W123 has Zebrano. I've heard of the Calyptus, and wondering if that's what we have.

Has anyone bought wood from APSIS ?

Thx - Dave H

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
Hi all - when we bought our '97 S320 in early 2010, the B-pillar material was pulling away somewhat in a few spots, mostly at the top or bottom. The pillar pieces could probably stand some new clips, if that's what holds them on, because I can push them in a little and when I let go they move back out a bit. But even if they were to stay in tight, the material has either shrunk a little, or whatever, and there is still a gap between the material and where it's supposed to hide away into when pushed in all the way.

These look like they're very easy to replace, according to Alldatadiy. Has anyone replaced theirs? Does the newer material tuck away nicely ? I'm hoping ours is just material that's shrunk, although I think this car has been stored inside a lot - we're the 5th owners. But there's no way the existing material can stay tucked in place.

I was thinking of replacing with the wooden versions offered, which would up the luxury factor, but it needs to match the existing wood, of course. I think I have burl - I know my '84 W123 has Zebrano. I've heard of the Calyptus, and wondering if that's what we have.

Thx - Dave H
Hi, Alot of the material on the pillars shrink, its very rare to find some that are not falling apart, not bad at all to replace, if you remove them you might be able to stretch the material back to where it belongs and reglue them with adhesive spray, good luck!!

·
Registered
95 S320 - Polar white; 95 S600 - Black Pearl
294 Posts

Thx - Dave H
Dave:

This is an easy fix. The material that covers the B pillar is a vinyl type material , not leather. It is very stretchable. You can use contact cement and stretch the material back into the original fit. Looks as good as new.

The only difficult part for me was figuring out how to remove the B pillar. (They're held on by two visible screws on either edge along with the bottom piece AND a hidden push on clamp at the top.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eddie and Ken - I'll try to fix them first, then. Anything on this car that needs fixing I try to "fix" first to retain as much original as possible. This looks like an excellent candidate. If I mess anything up, then I'll replace them.

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
I didn't have much luck streching and gluing these. Of course, I live in an area that gets well into the 100s in the summer.

Did you get a price from APSIS on the wood covers?

·
Registered
1976 W116 - 280S / 1994 W140 - S320
82 Posts
I have tried to remove the B-pillar trim today without any luck. The lower piece held in by screws just doesn't disengage from the trim piece. What could I be doing wrong? I understood that I needed to remove the lower piece then push down to unclip the trim. Is that right?

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,272 Posts
Yeah I have this problem on mine now:

Best adhesive to sort out this issue?
3M makes some really good upholstery adhesive. I prefer the 8090, as it's the strongest, but they also make an 8088 which is lighter duty.

You can buy both in a spray can. Not cheap, but it does the job. I us the 8090 for hood pads and have never had an issue with them coming off.

Dan

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,190 Posts
3M 8090 $90AUD per can delivered.

APSIS options look tasty, not sure if they are my style though.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,272 Posts
3M 8090 $90AUD per can delivered.

APSIS options look tasty, not sure if they are my style though.
Holy mother of pearl! They don't sell it locally? Or is that buying it from an AUS supplier?

<gasp>

I looked at Apsis but they don't publish prices? Do you have to email them for a quote on everything?

Dan

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,190 Posts
Quick search shows up nothing locally, basically half of that is freight cost. If it does the job properly it is money well spent, but I might just wait for a bit before I order some in.

I guess you need to email them for prices. After watching the vid on how MB impact test their interior parts I'll stick to stock parts.

·
Registered
1992 600 SEL x 3, 1998 E430, 2002 E320T 4matic, 1971 300SEL 3.5 project plus 4 more W108, etc
765 Posts
Quick search shows up nothing locally, basically half of that is freight cost. If it does the job properly it is money well spent, but I might just wait for a bit before I order some in.

I guess you need to email them for prices. After watching the vid on how MB impact test their interior parts I'll stick to stock parts.
Maybe you should look at becoming the distributor for the adhesive products. The applications are countless.

Your welcome :wink
Pete

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,190 Posts
Aust. is funny like that. We don't get the full range of products from makers. I've come across two other adhesive manufacturers that only bring in a limited range, you US guys get it all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts