Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pull down tailgate yesterday and then heard something broke inside. After that something knock every time while closing tailgate. I removed lamp and managed to get from inside some black pieces. Here is photo...
What is it? Do you others have problem with tailgate. Mine slams too hard when close it. In Mercedes service while car was in warranty they replaced one gas strut. I dont have nice tailgate closing feel as when car was new.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
That looks like rubber, does it feel like it too? I've opened mine but don't see anything that looks like that. Or maybe it's part of the panel?:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I had a strange noise from the hatch too. Sounded like a thick wiring harness bumping on the inside when closing the hatch. Dealer checked inside (car was there for sheduled maintenance and I made them check it), and said insulation was loose and they re-glued. Never saw inside though.

Yes, the hatch closes hard when you pull on the inside handle, even slowly, and let it go when the door starts moving by itself. It's because of the weight of the door, and once the shocks are almost retracted, they provide less resistance. I pull on the handle, then change my grip on the door and let it close by letting go near the end, if that makes any sense, so it closes less hard.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My B is quite air tight and I always have to follow through and have a firm hand on the tailgate until is makes final contact. If I don't push through to final closure, it never completely closes and stays slightly ajar.
Now if I leave a side door or window open, it will close much easier. That's from day one............

I haven't opened my tailgate interior yet so I can't help you on the black stuff.:dunno:....but it could be sound deadening insulation that's aged and now coming apart :bowdown:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Like Derek, my tailgate is also quite air tight and I have to follow through with closing it or it will not close completely. That being said, my gas struts are also quite weak. After 3 years, the hatch started to droop a bit (not being held open all the way up, unless you push it up). I think these struts are weak and would really like to see automatic closing on hatchs on a luxury car. too bad there is no retrofit or kit for this.

Oh, that black stuff in the picture looks more like hardened foam sprayed on cardboard than rubber. Was there a leak from the rear wiper assembly? Maybe a leak that caused insulation in hatch to deteriorate?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like rubber, does it feel like it too? I've opened mine but don't see anything that looks like that. Or maybe it's part of the panel?:

It looks more like tar... It is very easy to break it. Little sticky from one side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts