Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this can be a useful thread to update as info comes along.

Canada:

Road Safety Recalls Database

Recall Number Recall Date Make Model System Model Year(s) Affected
2012114 2012/04/02 MERCEDES-BENZ B CLASS Powertrain 2011
2008242 2008/07/09 MERCEDES-BENZ B CLASS Other 2007 2008
2007020 2007/01/29 MERCEDES-BENZ B CLASS Electrical 2006
2006132 2006/06/05 MERCEDES-BENZ B CLASS Other 2006
1-4 of 4 recall(s).

Info current as of this post.

U.S.

Safety Recalls -- NHTSA

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,525 Posts
My early 2006 B was recalled for a wiring problem on the turn signal. Wire was too tight and poorly sleeved(very crappy design) as it threaded along the stock. Changed the whole arm out.

Rear hatch was readjusted (as a recall) because one point made contact with the car body and the paint would be removed.

Manual tranny bell housing was drilled out for better water drainage. Original hole was deemed too small and could possibly plug up. They drilled a new hole "near' the original drain.

I think that that's about it for my 2006 B.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also looking for TSB (technical service bulletins) info

Devours, one of the recalls mentioned a combination switch. So that was probably it.

I was actually also looking for TSB info, but haven't found a good source (can only find U.S. sources that don't show the B-Class). Maybe a mod can change the title to add "TSB info"?

Reason is because of the recent 'rattling' thread. That would be more of a thing that would fall under TSB's (technical service bulletins). Recalls are safety related, TSB's offer fixes for problems that show up that aren't bad enough to warrant a recall.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,525 Posts
Derek, one of the recalls mentioned a combination switch. So that was probably it.

I was actually also looking for TSB info, but haven't found a good source
You're right Paulo...it was the combination switch many years back. At that time you could enter the service bay and watch from a distance. My tech just happened to be at a bench very close to the viewing spot.

He removed the combination switch and laid it on the bench. From just looking I could see (in my opinion) a huge design flaw. The ~ 4 fine coloured wires were threaded along a open curvy metal channel. The channel was very tight(unnecessarily too tight) and there was no protective sleeving around the 4 wires. So as you moved the arm up or down, these wires always had to move with the change of arm position. Guaranteed to fail somewhere in it's short life and/or by shorting or grounding out. The new arm was no better,...just with longer wires allowing for more play. I'm almost sure that that's what's in all of our B's right now.

Our B has so many great attributes in it,.... and just a few blatant design flaws. ....(Just like no drainage on the 06 front of the hoods.)

How these few design flaws get past the engineers is hard for me to grasp..?? :bowdown: I saw them from a mile away...........

Let's hope others here can add info on the TSB's...

·
Registered
2011 B200T
48 Posts
Do dealers notify car owners of recalls that effect the car they own? I have a 2011 B with a CVT and this is the first I've heard of it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As i understand it, M-B Head office usually does. The dealer (only if an m-b dealer) is supposed to pass on owner info if you buy a new or used car from them. Sometimes the info doesn't make it there. Our owner's manual has a sheet used to FAX new owner info, or you can just contact the head office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
This thread is probably mis-titled, because a recall will always result in a letter from the importer to the owner (assuming they have registered, as pfsantos wrote). By definition, a recall involves operational safety.

A Service Bulletin is a softer internal admission of a possible design flaw, which does not involve a safety system, and usually the customer will have to complain about the issue before a solution is offered. A good example of this latter category is the premature rusting of opening panels.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Mike I started the thread thinking recalls then later figured it would be good to have TSB info here too since to me they go hand in hand, albeit to a different degree. Maybe a mod can add "and TSB info" or we can start a new thread, once we find a good source.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2006 B200 Turbo
70 Posts
What do I do if mine is one of he recalls? I am not the original owner. An old 2006 model. Mine is probably not one of the recalls, but just wondering.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
A dealer will tell you if there are any un-performed bulletins/recalls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts