Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my drivers axle replaced. The replacement does not have the play going back and forth like the other side. Is this a problem with the new axle ? Or is the other side worn ? Seems a little funny to me, any help would be appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Not sure what play you are speaking of.

Where the Axle goes into the the Differential the instuctions call for the Retaining Clip that installs on the end of the Axle to go into the groove with out much trouble and for there to be no in and out play of the axle.
There are different sized Spacers that go between the Axle and the Differential to adjust for the zero play.

On the Wheel Hub end of the Axle the Bolt and Washer setup (if properly tightened and I believe the Washer is a one time use item) that goes through the Hub is supposed to keep that end from going in and out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you grab the center of the axle, you can move it about 1/2 inch to inch either way, toward the diff & the hub. The new one has no play, the other side does. Isnt the play supposed to be there for the movent of the suspension ?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you grab the center of the axle, you can move it about 1/2 inch to inch either way, toward the diff & the hub. The new one has no play, the other side does. Isnt the play supposed to be there for the movent of the suspension ?
I guess I do not know.

I replaced both of my Axles with Rebuilt ones but have never tried Pulling on them to see if the play you speak of is present.

It could be that the New One may loosen up later.

Also if the Axle you think is loose and causing no problems I do not think you need to worry till it does.

Also the Original Axles were filled with something similar to Differential Oil. The New Axles may be filled with CV Joint Grease.

It also could be that the New Axle does not have the same type of CV Joint.

Another thought: When I installed my Rebuilt Axles I had to collapse/telescope the Axle into itself in order to get the Axle End into the Rear Hub. That would imply that there is some play inside.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I'm with 300Dman on this one - I don't think there should be any really noticeable play in the axles. There must be a bit of a clearance fit on the internal parts and the clips in the differential but I don't think that you should be able to feel it though. If you could get a DTI set up you could probably measure it - but feel it hmmm

It is a good question that got me thinking though!

EDIT:- I just popped out and had a good hard yank on my axles - no noticeable movement!

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts