Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a few questions about our axles:

1. Inner axle spline count??
2. Axle diameter??
3. Do we have c-clip in the inner shaft??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Thai,

26 spline, 35 mm, no C-clip (of course no C-clip - that is Dinosaur technology).

By the way, spline count and diameter are only half the story. Alloy quality, treatment and shaft length are equally, if not more, important.

Harald

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

If an axles has 35 mm diameter, but 30 splines...how does that compare to our axle?? (Given equal materials, etc.) Or it doesn't really mean anything.

What is our shaft length BTW??

Thanks Harald again for the info.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
from what I read more splines are supposed to be stronger than less splines. But I have not seen stripped splines yet - not even on cheap axles. It is usually the shaft itself that breaks.
However, I bought my beefed up TJ used. During the first service I noticed that the rear axle splines were slightly twisted. On a Currie custom shaft for a 44. That's not supposed to happen. But I guess "pedal to the metal" will break anything. On that note, I have not seen a broken G axle shaft yet. Ever. So, seems to have enough splines and sufficient metal quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
Thai,
Are you worried about strength of G axle?
They are strong if you use it right. If you misuse it, you will end up seeing this picture.

Don't forget, this is a heavy truck with 300hp engine. I totally forgot about this when I broke my axle. I drove like I used to do on my CJ.

Yasu

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 5/5/2005 1:04 AM
...If an axles has 35 mm diameter, but 30 splines...how does that compare to our axle?? (Given equal materials, etc.) Or it doesn't really mean anything.....
Splines are sized by the major, or OUTSIDE, diameter of the splined area of the "male" part and the spline count.

The strength of the shaft is determined by the minor diamter of the splines (assuming that's the smallest diameter on the shaft). If you have an even number of splines you can use a caliper to measure across the bottoms of two directly opposite splines (if you have an odd number of splines, the measurement is more difficult).

Lastly, a higher spline count results in a larger minor (strength determining) diameter for a given major (one we refer to when talking about axle/spline size) diameter.

So, all other things being equal (and they are FAR from that), If two identical shafts differed only in spline count, the one with more splines would handle more torque due to it's larger minor diameter in the spline area - providing that the minor spline diameter was the smallest diameter on the shaft and there wasn't some other area that was smaller proving the limiting factor.

But comparing diameter and spline count alone, as Harald said, is like saying one car is faster than another because it has a bigger engine. It's a narrow view, only true under a vast set of artifically controlled circumstances, not a good picture of the real world.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need shorter axle

Hipine, you seem to know what you're talking about (I like that).

I need 6" shorter rear CV-half-shafts for a RWD 2009 ML350 (sorry I'm told I can't say why yet)
Are there any vehicles that would have the same spline count and major diameter of the outer (hub) CV, yet have a much shorter axle?

Usually FWD vehicles have one short and one long half-shaft.

The left front half shaft on the AWD 2009 ML350 would fit, but looks to be too weak.

I'm open to any thoughts or direction, thanks.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
The g-wagen axles with that CV-joint are complete different than the half shafts you are looking for.

If I'm correct you need a half shaft with a CV-joint on each end. If yes, you might need to start at the CV-joint, maybe the size could be 32mm x 108mm and a 28 spline, find a driveline place which can make the shaft needed as per your specs, assemble the shaft with the two CV-joints and bolt it into the ML.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, all other things being equal (and they are FAR from that), If two identical shafts differed only in spline count, the one with more splines would handle more torque due to it's larger minor diameter in the spline area - providing that the minor spline diameter was the smallest diameter on the shaft and there wasn't some other area that was smaller proving the limiting factor.

-Dave G.
In addition to spline count and material, you also have to look at whether the splines are pressed or cut (pressed being preferred).

I used to be part-owner of a company that built aftermarket parts for Land Rovers and did custom work. We farmed out our axle work to Moser Engineering and had great results with them.

Now, being a G newb still (actively looking to purchase if anyone has any good lines on a 04 or 05 w/ less than 60k miles ... ;) ), I've questioned the axle strength with lockers. Rover OEM axle 'lack of strength' is infamous ... especially when paired with lockers. It appears MB has this addressed, especially in the tire size realm I'm looking at with this truck.

So, has anyone actually blew up a stock CV or axle (inner or stub) off-road? What size tire were you running and what was the situation (on rocks, playing "throttle jockey" :D )?

T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts