Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 79 450sl that is in need of a new axle or the cv is making noise and it seems the easiest way is to replace the hole axle assembly. Has any one done this ? Should I do both while I have it apart? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Sorry, no help here. Wait till Nobby or Roncallo come online, they've both been there.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,927 Posts
Hello,
I have a 79 450sl that is in need of a new axle or the cv is making noise and it seems the easiest way is to replace the hole axle assembly. Has any one done this ? Should I do both while I have it apart? Thanks
It's a fairly straight forward job. Take the one center nut off and six flange bolts. then you will have to drive it out with a hub puller. Please dont hammer or you may brinnel the bearings. Do both.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,927 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a fairly straight forward job. Take the one center nut off and six flange bolts. then you will have to drive it out with a hub puller. Please dont hammer or you may brinnel the bearings. Do both.
thanks Roncallo, I will see if I can find the parts locally, If not does anyone have an online parts supply for mb parts that their happy with?

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
roncallo thanks for little tidbits of info you put online, It also helps refresh my pops memory when I ask him what some of these terms mean. My pops is a metallurgist and knows a whole lot about alloys and working techniques so it's good to give the guy a memory test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts