·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic wagon
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been working on this too long.
trying to put a new cv boot on and can not get the axle nut off
breaker bar, impact wrench nothing.
My understanding is that this is a left hand thread so I'm trying to "thighten" the nut so to speak, but I even tried both directions to try to free it, no luck.
this car grew up in Michigan but the rust is not obvious, I'm sure there's some so I spayed it hours ago with WD40
BTW All 3 indy's in my area quoted within $1 of each other, $325 for one outer boot.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4matic, 1999 E320 Wagon 4matic
25 Posts
My Axle Nut has a normal right-hand thread

I removed the front passenger's side axle nut just this weekend. It was a normal right-hand thread...not left hand. So that may be your problem (though I realize you said you tried both directions). The torque setting should be about 200 ft lbs. which is higher than my torque wrench goes. In my case, I used an impact wrench which removed it no sweat. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
For such a job you need a really strong breaker bar -preferably 3/4" and about 3 foot pipe extension. 4 feet is not going to hurt neither.
Do me a favor and drop the can of WD40 down the garbage can.
For such a job use PBBlaster available at HD.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
For such a job you need a really strong breaker bar -preferably 3/4" and about 3 foot pipe extension. 4 feet is not going to hurt neither.
Do me a favor and drop the can of WD40 down the garbage can.
For such a job use PBBlaster available at HD.
+1
WD40 blows and the smell .....bug spray smell better

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Normal thread. Use Liquid Wrench. Coca Cola may also work too. Good luck!

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
I don't think seizing is the real issue here. Have never seen that nut corroded, since it is pretty well protected and there is always oil residue coming from bearings.
But the nut is torqued pretty high and being self-locking it is not easy to move. Owning bus conversion I deal with 400-500 torques pretty often.
Have Craftsman 3/4" breaker bar twisted into pretzel and I know that even with good tool it is not easy to move big nuts.
Lot of inexperienced mechanics try to turn big wrench with hands, while human legs are several times stronger. Even average person can easily push 500 lb with legs, while sitting with back to a wall.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Back in previous life my Karate instructor told us the legs are about 10-11 times stronger than the arms. What he needs is a good quality impact gun rated above 500ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic wagon
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PB Blaster quickly loosened it up

Thanks dancing dog for that tip:thumbsup:
all the nut & bolts are very difficult to remove thanks to this wagon starting out in Michigan for it's first 5 years and me getting older.
Thanks to all for for the good info and advice.

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
Dancing Dog :eek:
That virtual animal was taken for a cat lot of times, but this is the first time talking about dog. :D
BTW
PB Blaster works the best when left overnight. I had several really frozen aluminum parts that would be destroyed when forced one day and would turn with hand force left under PB till the following day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts