Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used this stuff to seal the electronic cable inside the outlet hole of the metal ETA housing because I broke off the metal peice taking it off. This stuff has no conductivity, it dries rock hard and is so tough that using a clamp to keep the cable from pulling out, as I planned, was silly after using this stuff. Its just too strong to worry. Its supposed to be good to 250F. It leaves a nice looking smooth black glossy surface. I intend to keep this stuff in my tool box, always. There may be other brand names that are similar.

Attachments

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
US members, you can find something similar from Loctite.

International fellows, try Pattex.

Alchemy is a chemist, he might have his own formula. Beware.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,094 Posts
One problem with epoxy pastes and glues, most don't like heat.
If they are used in the engine bay or on the engine, they go soft runny when hot :(

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you buy it / how much?
I just got it at my small local hardware for 2.99 . I think they are independant but they might use True Value, or Ace. I just found that "Devcon" is a brand name for permatex. Funny thing but I asked for permatex gasket stuff and they didn't have any. This turned out beautifully. I would guess loctite has something similar but I would also guess that hard light gray loctite would be conductive, may be not, I'm not sure. This stuff seems to set differently than loctite and when dry is like a high density polypropylene which is very hard and high melting (Bowling ball like). This devcon I used showed no conductive continuity with the leads less than 1mm apart in the wet mixture.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing about the kind I used in the pic is that it takes a long time to set. I just left it overnight. It was worth it. I didnt even notice it getting sticky for at least an hour or so but it wasn't really runny as it looks and it did stay in the shape I formed. They do have faster setting types but I have no idea what they are like or if they are conductive. I wanted something that would keep the electronic cable from jerking out and to also seal the hole so no vapors could get in. I mentioned hardness like a bowling ball but I dont think its brittle.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alchemy is a chemist, he might have his own formula. Beware.

I hate polymer chemistry. If I do polymer chemistry it's by accident when I get some rock hard mass in one of my expensive peices of glass and end up breaking it trying to get it out. :surrender:

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
One problem with epoxy pastes and glues, most don't like heat.
If they are used in the engine bay or on the engine, they go soft runny when hot :(
This is very true. However, I have always had good results with J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD .

It is an exceptional epoxy cold-weld compound which is supposedly resistant to temperatures upwards of 500° F.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
This is very true. However, I have always had good results with J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD .

It is an exceptional epoxy cold-weld compound which is supposedly resistant to temperatures upwards of 500° F.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,188 Posts
J-B Weld is widely available in USA, anybody know anything about its conductivity as mentioned by Alchemy ?

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J-B Weld is widely available in USA, anybody know anything about its conductivity as mentioned by Alchemy ?
I read that some of the Devcon -Permatex are conductive even though mine wasn't and I figured so are some of the JB weld, loc tite products. I have a kind JB weld that I was "sure" it was conductive because it looks like metal powder in it so I didnt even look for it. There may be some that doesnt have that. I was also reading that the metal based epoxies are the ones that also have an ultra high working temperature.
The JB weld is different than what I used. It probably is good stuff too. I just havent used it much.
Anyway, to me this particular Devcon was the cheapest, easiest to use and I loved how it set up. I wonder how it is with gas and solvents?

·
Administrator
9,094 Posts
I recently used a 'Plastic Metal' epoxy containing fine metal powder to repair a mains voltage switch :eek:

I thought about it and checked with a very sensitive Ohm meter, and there was no conductivity at all.

alchemy, can you recommend a good epoxy for rocket fuel grains?

At present I'm mixing aluminium powder, iron oxide, ammonium perchlorate with a liquid epoxy as the fuel.
It works, but I'm sure I can get more thrust. I've tried all sorts of epoxies as well as butyl rubber, but still not that crackling whoooooshhhhh :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently used a 'Plastic Metal' epoxy containing fine metal powder to repair a mains voltage switch :eek:

I thought about it and checked with a very sensitive Ohm meter, and there was no conductivity at all.

alchemy, can you recommend a good epoxy for rocket fuel grains?

At present I'm mixing aluminium powder, iron oxide, ammonium perchlorate with a liquid epoxy as the fuel.
It works, but I'm sure I can get more thrust. I've tried all sorts of epoxies as well as butyl rubber, but still not that crackling whoooooshhhhh :rolleyes:

I know very little of rocketry. I knew they used ammonium perchlorate but binders I do not know. I remember as a kid reading of them using dextrin, gum arabic, starch and such in fireworks. I had a national fireworks expert working for me a few years ago but he's mad at me. Fireworks are different though, I think. I'm pretty sure they just use black powder in bottle rockets for example. Large ones are launched with mortars. I would think that a binder that contributed to the burn rate might be good. I would think epoxies would take away. So would anything halogenated. Melted sugar maybe but then, what is a safe temperature? If you used something like sugar or something combustible with your oxidizer you would need a higher oxidizer ratio I would guess. There are some clandestine science forums on the web, and even though I hate the "spirit" of it, many of those guys are brilliantly creative. When ever I run into them I always think "dont you people know what you could do in legitimate science with your abilities?"

·
Administrator
9,094 Posts
Thanks for the kudos re. amateur projects.
Since the age of 12, I've always made my own fireworks (it's a shame they put in retardants in sodium chlorate these days) :D

How about an R129 0-60 in 1.5 sec. with rocket boosters :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kudos re. amateur projects.
Since the age of 12, I've always made my own fireworks (it's a shame they put in retardants in sodium chlorate these days) :D

How about an R129 0-60 in 1.5 sec. with rocket boosters :rolleyes:
lol! I did use a chemical additive that "nitrated" the fuel. A top go cart racer tried it and loved it. I later gave him the method because I didnt want the liability of danger.

Chlorates can easily be made by bubbling chlorine through hydroxides. Or in the case of sodium or potassium chlorates, they can be made easily by boiling hypochlorite bleach. For the Potassium just add KCL and since KCLO3 is not very soluble, it crystallizes fairly pure. I'm sure you know that chlorates are very dangerous. I'm guessing thats what causes fireworks plants to blow and kill people.
I dont like having any oxidizers around, let alone chlorates and perchlorates.

·
Administrator
9,094 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts