Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'89 190E 2.6
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow 190'ers,

With winter fast approaching and living in central New York, I have been looking at AWD options. I currently have the 190 and a LR Discovery which is the best thing i have ever driven in the snow but.....it gets 15mpg on the highway, and i do a lot of driving for work. :crybaby2:

I have been looking at early 90's AWD 300's, has anyone driven a late model benz with 4-matic (AWD) in the snow? I'm curious how well it performs.

Subaru is really the only other option but I hate how they look and every other for sale post i read the engine has been replaced...not to fond of that.

the 190 is horrid in the winter, i believe its mostly due to the gearing, when you let off the gas to coast through back-ice or snow the car decelerates too quickly causing the car to loose control. Sure you can drive one with the studded tires, and at 45mph but i drive a min of 160 to/from work a day... I need something thats is more confident in the snow.

Oh and who wants to get salt on thier baby :eek:

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 196K , 2003 Audi Allroad 153K
78 Posts
I know your pain. I have a discovery and by far the best snow vehicle I have ever owned but the 15mpg on a good day kills it for a daily driver. Looking at selling mine due to it sitting more than driving.

I have a Subaru with all seasons and it is worse than driving a truck I think. It is so light in the rear it slides at the drop of a hat. Mine is a 5 speed from 2000 and other than that it isnt to bad. I just have to be careful and I look forward to driving the Benz in the winter.

Good luck on finding a good car for the winter...

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Get the G wagen..........Swiss army surplus:
or this :
[/UR

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I currently have the 190 and a LR Discovery which is the best thing i have ever driven in the snow but.....it gets 15mpg on the highway

Subaru is really the only other option but I hate how they look and every other for sale post i read the engine has been replaced...not to fond of that.
Id rather pay double for an AWD BMW rather then buy a subaru. they're garbage.

let me get this straight tho, you want to spend thousands on a 3rd car, instead of spending like $300 more in gas to drive your discovery a few months?:banghead:

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Benznoob26 : Very and super unique show car .. hat off for the paint job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
My family has a 2003 GMC envoy and it is great in the snow, plus it gets 22mpg. We also have a Dodge Dakota, which is great for deep snow if you put sandbags in the bed.

And don't get a subaru, as stated above, they are garbage.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The Rainbowers driven SUBARU only...come to Portland "weird" and see for your self hahaha..

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
Fellow 190'ers,

With winter fast approaching ...

Have you tried good winter tires - specially in rear ?

The difference in traction is like day and night over all-season tires

Michelin X-Ice is top rated and not that expensive, and they usually last longer than normal tires

also Studded snow tire if you drive on icy surfaces a lot

here's top 5 rated winter tires

Snow Tire Reviews, Best Winter Tires, Snow Tires

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
I got tired of my 190E last year because of horrible snow performance (even if I had very good winter tires). I sold it and bought a Suzuki Vitara (1999, 242000Km today) with 5 speed and 2.0 4 bangner. It's been the best winter vehicle I ever had (and trust me, we get loads of snow here). Also, it gets 25-27 mpg in city driving. Also, other than oil and a bushing, it's been perfectly reliable for more than 40 000 kms and never burns a single drip of oil.

For the subaru...my father drive those since 1985 and they are the best cars you might ever find for winter driving. Also, if they were well taken care of, like any car, they will be reliable.

Otherwise, my girlfriend drives a 2001 or 2002 E320 4Matic, which does a very honest job in snow. It's not as good as a subaru, but goes through almost anything and handles very well. The downside is that this generation of Benz is not as reliable as the 190. We have to deal with many electrical gremlins and some other troubles.

Finally, you must remember that there are two options you have to improve the performance of a RWD or 4WD car or truck. First and MOST important is choosing the right tire. Tires are more than 75% of a car's performance during winter. You don't really need studded tires, because they are lame on the highway and only perform good on black ice. What you really need are real WINTER tires, not snow tires. The difference is that true winter tires are made to stick on ice, while snow tires only perform good in snow and are a PITA on the road. I personnally drive on Firestone Winterforce which are dirt cheap and almost the best winter tire you can find (for truck and cars). This said, the last thing you might try is to pu weight in the back. I used to drive the 190 with 240 lbs of sandbags in the trunk. It helped a lot, especially on ice.

I hope this bit of experience helped you, feel free to ask any question you want!

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i drove the 190 with some nice nittos on it and it wasnt too bad of a ride.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
let me get this straight tho, you want to spend thousands on a 3rd car, instead of spending like $300 more in gas to drive your discovery a few months?:banghead:

I totally agree with this statement! BUT, if you really must have a third car any front wheel drive beater with a good set of tires will do fine in your area and save you money over the premium you will pay for an all wheel drive car just before the snow season stars.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
My 190 with studded snow tires is fantastic in the snow and ice. I'd say it's just as good as my old Audi 4000S which was front wheel drive. I've driven at unsafe speeds in blizzard conditions with absolutely no issues at all and I too live in upstate New York. But if you wan't another car FWD does just fine in the winter. Where I work now the roads will be that of an ice rally this winter and it's mostly uphill so we'll see what kind of fun I can have. Good luck.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
I would recommend you look at an older Audi. They can be had for next to nothing, great support fourms and Quattro - once you have driven one in the snow Fuggeddaboudit.

I sold my (1990) Audi V8 Quattro for my Benz as the V8 was becomming a maintance pig, but with AWD and the V8 I still averaged 20MPG - and nothing stopped it. I grew up in Buffalo NY and have family in Cleveland and would drive during the Holiday's back from 'Jersey to see them and wouldn't think nothing of it.

The older 4000's and 5000's use the exact same CIS that the 190 has so it's nothing new there - just one less cylinder.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
^ I second his opinion. The old 4000's were quite reliable too, never had any issues with mine that were expensive. I used to get 30mpg highway with my automatic 3 spd. Can't complain about that

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
its not gonna be too bad this year but ive heard different opinions. everyones oparanoid about snow this year and flocking out to get a suv. i plowed thru snow banks and drove in the snow with nitto all season on the merc and sunitomo all seasons on the volvo and the cars plowed thru the snow but the cars are both lowered and lacked ground clearence. i my self am looking for an suv probablly an isuzu trooper, rav4, suzuki vitara, or chevy tracker to be my winter beater this year budget being 2000.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
i dont know what is wrong with the 190e in snow. I have a 2.6 and i drove it for 5 winters and the only time i had trouble is when i had all season tires on. it wouldn't move for crap. With winter tires, i can go anywhere and i live in toronto canada. Sure it slides when you go from a stop but you gota be easy on the gas until you grip the road. I still didnt put my winters on, but i will soon. and i don\t notice the decelerating problem that you describe. Overall i found it safer to drive in my 190e than my dad's E320 2001 ( not awd ) i got goodyear Nordics on the back and general altrax or whatever on the front. both winter tires.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i think its just parnoia and the such. driving skill may have something to do with it, i drove my buddys car in the snow and it drove fine to me but when he drove it it was sliding all over the place.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
its not gonna be too bad this year but ive heard different opinions. everyones oparanoid about snow this year and flocking out to get a suv. i plowed thru snow banks and drove in the snow with nitto all season on the merc and sunitomo all seasons on the volvo and the cars plowed thru the snow but the cars are both lowered and lacked ground clearence. i my self am looking for an suv probablly an isuzu trooper, rav4, suzuki vitara, or chevy tracker to be my winter beater this year budget being 2000.
Go to the auction! I got 2 XJ Jeeps down here a few years ago for $300 and $600 each. Both ran great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts