Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pioneer

The one I pulled from my Tahoe is the flagship from 3 years ago. Really any will work.
Here's a pic I found from a unit installed at a shop out east. I'll keep track of my progress and post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope, the app radio is an old one. The picture below is just a sample of what an aftermarket looks like.
But, I'd put that old app radio against the GL stocker any day.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 2007 ML350
4 Posts
Pioneer unit replacing the COMAND?

Iam still deciding on what type of unit to use to replace the Comand.

I see the picture above of the installed Pioneer unit. Does anyone have that in their ML350 W164? I am curious about how the steering wheel interface would work.

I have one of these units in my Acura MDX (2005). One thing I do not like is that the MDX only had three buttons on the steering wheel, and it kind of stinks only being able to go "up" to the next station or "mode" or "band". And it only lets you cycle through 6 of your 18 FM presets from the steering wheel. Otherwise you have to work everything through the touch screen or the tiny buttons which are kind of hard to hit while driving.

So I was wondering if the experience when this is hooked up to an ML350 steering wheel is any better.

One of the things I potentially like about those android head units or a Dynavin is that they have more easy to touch while driving control buttons.

By the way, the Pioneer unit in other ways is very nice. The only downsides -- free "traffic" service in the navigation does not spot as many accidents and slowdowns as Google Maps, but it is better than none. -- It is not too difficult to add directions (but a voice input would be nice). But the HDradio, sirius, and music control for usb storage devices and bluetooth work well. And it sounds good wired (without an amp) to the stock speakers.

·
Registered
2012 GL350
251 Posts
Does anyone have instructions for a pioneer unit. I bought a pioneer avic 8200 but there are no instructions and a local installer says he can't do it. :((

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.sorry to reopen this thread.
I bought the 9" unit and after few problems with sound I was able to make it work Everything but microphone.
I had ntg2 comand with Harman kardon and i bought microphone adapter (fakra to Jack ) and connected to mustard fakra and rear avin unit but not able to make it work. Do I miss something? I can just ear lot of noise and very far voice.

Thank you.
Riccardo

·
Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,183 Posts
Hello.sorry to reopen this thread.

I bought the 9" unit and after few problems with sound I was able to make it work Everything but microphone.

I had ntg2 comand with Harman kardon and i bought microphone adapter (fakra to Jack ) and connected to mustard fakra and rear avin unit but not able to make it work. Do I miss something? I can just ear lot of noise and very far voice.

Thank you.

Riccardo

Mine worked with no issues when I had my ML. You did use the proper connector so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
You had the same 9" unit?(last one android 6 2gb ram)
should be just plug and play with microphone with fakra adapter? Because mine not work just plugging .

Thank you.
Riccardo

·
Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,183 Posts
You had the same 9" unit?(last one android 6 2gb ram)

should be just plug and play with microphone with fakra adapter? Because mine not work just plugging .

Thank you.

Riccardo

Yes there was one time where mine didn’t work and my guy had to take it back out and plug the adapter in again as it had popped loose some how. I seem to remember a setting where the microphone can be muted. Did you verify it is enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
TIhank you. I will try to look tomorrow but not seen in the menu something concerning muting the Mic. Anyway Is not like muted but very noisy and really unintelligible voice.
Riccardo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing .tried to found the Mic mute setting but not exist on my unit.
Anyway I just plug the fakra adapter to the mustard from my car and then the Jack 3.5 of the adapter to the avin unit.
Need to do something else? Is like the mic not amplified.unpercettible voice and lot of noise.
If disconnecting rear Mic, people can barely ( but better) ear my voice but at least no noise.
Riccardo.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
18 Posts
I have a 2007 GL 450 and had the comman unit replaced with a Xtron unit. Looks almost exactly like the original. This unit however has a back up camera, WiFi,Bluetooth, mirroring are able to dL apps from the play store. I have had it for two months now. I was able to keep the steering controls, used my OEM mic and gps antenna. I had to buy an adapter but it did not cost much. I did have some slight humming noise. I have a sound dampener and hope to get rid of the noise that way. I opted to use a pay service app called sync for my navigation. The reason I opted for this is because of its customisable interface and all the added fetchers. The fact that it gives you direction when on a free way 1/2 a mile before the exit and shows you when their is a change in speed limits was worth the money to me.

·
Registered
Green 2007 GL450
20 Posts
Guys,
I posted this on another thread yesterday,,, and decided to copy it here after reading about the cheap, crap chinese units being sold. >>>

I was finally able to replace my head unit in 2017 with Kenwoods Flagship unit (DNX994S) at that time which came standard with HD radio, Garmin GPS and SeriusXM radio, DVD, USB/SD card, and many more features. I also had my local radio shop install backup cam which was fully compatible with this unit. The local shop was able to wire in all my steering wheel functions such as volume up/down, next channel, ect... which was really nice too. I had been waiting for years for aftermarket kits to make these small functions work. For now, the Kenwood head unit is connected to my original Harman Kardon speaker system and subwoofer system since it would all have to be rewired to change it - as it is fiber optics. But I'm gonna have it all changed out eventually because I want all that piece of shit audio components that Mercedes put in there - gone! The Garmin maps feature alone was enough to sell me, because the old Mercedes maps was nothing but junk - sorry if the truth hurts MB. Then on top of that - $250 for the MB map update disc - I mean, REALLY!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts