Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

I want to paint my grill black and add some more chrome strips for the avantgarde grille and i came across a couple of problems. i know its been discussed before but i dont know what i should do now.

i started to sand the grille down with sandpaper because the finish on the grille is very rough from the hot maltese sun.. but it takes up some much time its impossible to do!! so now i am using thinner to dissolve the bad finish and reveal the good grey finish underneath.

now what should i use to paint it? is there some 1 part bumper paint which does not need any primers? or should i use plastic primer, then gloss black?
i was going to use dark tint-spray but i do not know if this a good idea because the grey will still show slightly i think.

also i do not know yet how to attach those extra chrome parts :( Onkel you never told us how exactly you made the retainers. did you screw them on or what?

please help!

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
At my local auto shop they had a spray can of bumper black
this was easy to apply , gave it about 6 coats and so far ,even in the Australian summer just gone shows no sign of deterioration[:)]

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm 10x for that. will search for this paint then. how is your finish though?

i saw onkel's and it looks like glossy black. and i like that [8D]

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
banflu - 4/2/2005 3:38 AM

hmm 10x for that. will search for this paint then. how is your finish though?

i saw onkel's and it looks like glossy black. and i like that [8D]
I have used halfbright black spray paint.
I would not go for a fully shiny paint. More to the halfbright i think! [;)]

And as for my extrachromestrips..i have made my own holders...but they aren´t visible so i can´t take a photo on them for you. [:I]

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know your grille well ;)

i am just curious about your holders. what did you use for the holders? smal pieces of plastic? or metal? and how did you attach the holders? by screw or by glue?

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
banflu - 4/2/2005 11:10 AM

i know your grille well ;)

i am just curious about your holders. what did you use for the holders? smal pieces of plastic? or metal? and how did you attach the holders? by screw or by glue?
I used 1 milimeter steelscrew that i fixed into the plastic grill. Then made my own plasticholders that i fitted on the screw.
Hard to explain on english for me. [V]
Not glue at all.

A

·
0 Posts
i also would like to know. u dont happen to speak German do you? if u can, u could explain it to me, and i could translate. i (and im sure all of us) would really like to know the specifics of no glue attachment. should i spray my grille with flat black or shiny black?

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
AMSOIL300CDT - 4/3/2005 1:00 AM

i also would like to know. u dont happen to speak German do you? if u can, u could explain it to me, and i could translate. i (and im sure all of us) would really like to know the specifics of no glue attachment. should i spray my grille with flat black or shiny black?
I don´t speak German. I´m from Sweden.

I writed this earlier in this thread about the paint:

"I have used halfbright black spray paint.
I would not go for a fully shiny paint. More to the halfbright i think!"

IF i maybe gonna repaint my grill a little bit later this spring, THEN i gonna take photos of ALL the holders and so on that i have made for the extrachrome for you guys![:)]

A

·
0 Posts
yeah i knew that. but as u know, many europeans have lived for extended amounts of time in other countries, thus i had to ask. in germany u run across people from other lands all the time. thanks for the reccommendation on the color. when i get it done, i will post pics, however, without all the extra chrome stips, im nervous over how good it will look black.

http://benzworld.org/gallery/pics/12811383001639200512010PM.JPG

i have changed the broken grille in the pic for perfect one, however it still looks "the same" as far as chrome strips go. i HATE the ugly american lights. they look hideous.

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont know if i will paint the back or not but i am sure Onkel did.. he made a very good job of this :)
i think i'm gonna give up, and just stick the extra chrome there with silicone sealer or Araldite.
I tried fixing 3 pins there as holders with araldite but they keep moving around and they never come at the correct position!

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
Schmohey - 4/10/2005 3:43 AM

Did you guys paint the back of the grille? I don't see what's the point and haven't done so. Just curious what you guys think?
I have painted the back of the grill! It wouldent look good if somebody (or me) look behind it and see that its grey there![;)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts