Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any companies which make bras for our cars to prevent rock chips? I'm using it exclusively for the track. I'm thinking that 3M film they put over our bumpers is pretty useless or is just plain ugly?

·
Registered
slk 350
126 Posts
I used the 3m product on my 350.It is on the bumpers fog lights, headlights and the outside mirrors.No chips and the lights are warrantyed for breakage.As for ugly, you can't see it until youre within 5 ft.Try this wb site: xpel.com.I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the 3m on my last car and it worked great. On black the line does show up more where the film ends but the protection is unbeatable. Do not do this yourself, its not easy and there are tricks to doing it. My last car had to be done twice because the first time it had bubbles and the scratched the film trying t buff out the bubbles. Second time looked good. They ate the film which was all the profit im sure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I paid about the same. I need to have the SLK done. I have a free job coming to me. Wife wrecked the Infiniti and we traded the car before it was done to it because the paint had not fully cured. So i worked a deal to have it done to the new SLK.

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
Am having done today will let you all know how it goes.

http://accuguard.biz/

These guys were very helpful.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
This subject was discussed to death in the forums when I had my Honda S2000. If you want to check out everything you ever wanted to know about the clear bra (tips, experiences, suppliers, etc.), go to S2KI dot com, select 'search', enter 'clear bra' and set 'search posts from...' to 'any date'.

It seems like 3M is the film of choice; however, the thicker film (8mm) may yellow over time and the 5mm film is best. Self-installation is difficult, but installer prices can vary widely.

Personally, although I'm thinking about getting a bra installed on my 350 (California freeways are notorious for picking up bumper chips), I just know that I'll notice those seam lines all the time, even if other people don't.

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
Six hours later the VentureShield Paint Protection Film was installed and so far so good!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Essellkay350 - 4/28/2005 10:59 AM

This subject was discussed to death in the forums when I had my Honda S2000. If you want to check out everything you ever wanted to know about the clear bra (tips, experiences, suppliers, etc.), go to S2KI dot com, select 'search', enter 'clear bra' and set 'search posts from...' to 'any date'.

It seems like 3M is the film of choice; however, the thicker film (8mm) may yellow over time and the 5mm film is best. Self-installation is difficult, but installer prices can vary widely.

Personally, although I'm thinking about getting a bra installed on my 350 (California freeways are notorious for picking up bumper chips), I just know that I'll notice those seam lines all the time, even if other people don't.
Not me. I'm going braless! [:X]

Yes, the LA freeways look like a junk yard and throw up all sorts of things and yes, I already have a small chip on my lower hood but that's life. The seam from the bra would bother me more than the chips and won't there invariably be a difference in the paint under the bra and the paint not under the bra?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
malibuite - 4/30/2005 7:57 PM

won't there invariably be a difference in the paint under the bra and the paint not under the bra?
Hmmm, I sure it will fade differently - still can't get over those 'chocolate dipped' R170's in a post, a couple of weeks ago - they looked horrendous.

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
My car is white so I'm less inclined to worry about the fading and specs look good for wear and tear.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking specifically for a bra just for track events (rock chips are a lot more dangerous when you're going 140mph+. I'm leaning away from the 3M stuff because I don't like the seam from the plastic. Just plain ugly and screws up the beautiful lines of the hood. I know it's not noticeable until up close, but a lot of people will see mine up close, so I don't want them to be like "wtf is that sticky stuff on your hood. Just ugly. It wouldn't be bad if the 3M stuff completely covered the hood like a dash kit so that you don't see the edge at all. But then you'd be able to see the diff between say, the fenders and the hood in terms of reflectivity and finish. But yeah no custom bras?

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
67 Posts
I know the look of the "carbra" is a bit ugly, but having had one for my last 3 cars, they are great for road trips, track events, etc. Put it on for the day or weekend, take it off afterwards.

www.carbra.com.au

They are custom made for each car and are a snug fit, first time fitting usually requires the carbra to be left in the sun for a bit to soften it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts