Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2003 E32 W211
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
USAF Major Lawrence here.
We have a 2003 Mercedes E320 (W211) as an embassy unofficial get-around car. Recently the auxiliary water pump started making noise (impeller sounded like it was rattling around inside) and shortly thereafter developed a water leak. Our carpool mechanic is pretty dexterous and disassembled the pump and the impeller is very worn, yet no sign of leakage from the sides. It is the bottom area where the water seems to leak from but I could detect no fissures or cracks on the body of the pump. I am in Venezuela without hopes of finding another pump for a couple of months. Thus, my question is: can I bypass (maybe with a pvc elbow) the pump safely until I can replace it? I am in tropical climate and will never require heating. How would this affect my car? Notice please I wrote SAFELY. I would not want to damage the car because it would mean being forced to always go out in marked embassy cars and us gringos aren't very well liked by the Venezuelan government. No need to make it easy for them to tag along on all our outings.
I solemnly appreciate any help on the subject!
Maj. Lawrence - out.
BTW: Maduro is Venezuela's narco-dictator and Chupalo means SUCK IT! :cool:

· Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,920 Posts
So this is aux coolant pump, who is basically the same design on MB for at least 40 years.
I can only wonder how it start to leak since there is no movable seal on it, but to make the story short - yes you can bypass the pump.
It is actually booster pump, where main pump push coolant via the system and in the moment when engine idles, the electric pump boosts the flow.
With proper bypass you still will have coolant flow from main pump.

· Registered
2003 E32 W211
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this is aux coolant pump, who is basically the same design on MB for at least 40 years.
I can only wonder how it start to leak since there is no movable seal on it, but to make the story short - yes you can bypass the pump.
It is actually booster pump, where main pump push coolant via the system and in the moment when engine idles, the electric pump boosts the flow.
With proper bypass you still will have coolant flow from main pump.
That's great! So I can basically install an in-line piece of hot water PVC piping until I can get the part here ? The part where the screws are comes off and there is an o-ring inside. It didn't show deterioration or signs that it's leaking from there, however. I will ask the mechanic to place that in-line bypass!
Thanks very much my friend. I appreciate it very much!

· Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,920 Posts
Per your description about the climate, you don't need this pump at all. Disconnecting will trigger secondary error who you can just ignore.
I am still stumped how the original pump develop a leak, but that is not an issue anymore?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.