Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure you all know, if you've tried to listed to your IPOD thru the Aux port in the glove box, the volume is very limited. I have an '04 E500 4-matic wagon with the Harmon Kardon Stereo. I bought a harmon kardon drive & Play Ipod interface that has a hardwire option so you dont have to use the crappy FM station option. The local audio shop is telling me that they would have to go thru the aux port to hardwire it, but they cant guarantee the volume will be what I want. Does anyone know if the volume can be adjusted/boosted for the aux port? I switched the aux port to dolby logic on the radio interface, and that did help but not enough. I refuse to buy the MB ipod kit...what a rip off. There has to be another way....help!

Kirk B

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
With the MB kit the volume is adjustable to all reasonable levels and the IPOD can be controlled by the wheel buttons and it also charges when installed. I do not believe its a rip. Do not think what you are intending to purchase has all of those functions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with SHOSH. The hardwired option is not a "rip". But it is overpriced!!! LOL. I have an 08 E350 PII with the hardwired IPOD interface option in the glovebox. Have to say that it works perfectly, and it is nice having the ability to control just about everything on the IPOD through the steering wheel. I do notice, however, that there is a noticeable difference in volume levels when switching from radio or CD play to the AUX for IPOD. The IPOD is definitely lower dynamically, and a couple of songs have actually sounded a bit muffled. So I just crank up the volume!!! ;-)
As for dislikes -- I do have a few. Such as that although I can control the IPOD through the steering wheel, it isn't as user-friendly as it could be. I have ~3700 songs and 40-50 playlists. Navigating across these is not easy, is distracting when driving, and is a real pain in the ass. Matter of fact, the reason I have so many playlists was to overcome the hassle of locating specific songs more quickly than the interface allows. Also, although I have the NAV system, it does NOT display anything from the IPOD. What a waste!! The only visibility is through the instrument cluster!!!!
Perhaps I need to change a setting or something to be able to view my IPOD through NAV display? Anyone ever figure that out?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
On Comand Online Ltd I found a iPod kit that allows to see information in the Cluster display, the COMAND APS display and controlling can be done via steering wheel but NOT from the COMAND HU according to Mark (director of that company). And it goes for "only" 179 British Pounds.

Quote Mark's eMail:
Hello,

It is not possible to control the ipod from the head unit. It has to be
done from the steering wheel. This is the same for all the Mercedes ipod
kits.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Mark
Director

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
well there is always the mp3 cd option whose volume output is fine.
What do you mean?

Oh what I thought is, since each mp3 is usually encoded with a different volume, "normalizing" could help to bring each mp3 up to the same volume in the first place!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i read on another forum that there is an ipod amplifier (part # A204 870 39 94 ) you can get for .10 i need to go to the dealer next week and plan on grabbing one. update later

·
Registered
13 Posts
went to the dealer and picked up the amp on friday. Havent installed it yet but it was 10 cents. 11 with tax. Although the parts guy didnt want to give it to me for that. Had to call his manager then had to call mercedes. said he didnt want to get fired for selling it for a dime... eventually he did. will install tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
went to the dealer and picked up the amp on friday. Havent installed it yet but it was 10 cents. 11 with tax. Although the parts guy didnt want to give it to me for that. Had to call his manager then had to call mercedes. said he didnt want to get fired for selling it for a dime... eventually he did. will install tomorrow..
If you don't get it from that guy, let me know I can help you out!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts