Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan seems like it has bearings near the end of their life. Sometimes it emits a kind of high pitch whine but not always. Is there anything I can do now to save it before it craps out or is its death inevitable.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,079 Posts
Paul,

I had my aux fan quit on me, and, just for fun, I took it apart to see if there was anything I could fix.

It was just a bearing, but it was hard to get to and it was easier to replace the whole thing with a used fan than to change the bearing.

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,371 Posts
Sacré bleu, it's a French plot.
Hi Axel, could you post this in the DIY?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,079 Posts
Sacré bleu, it's a French plot.
Hi Axel, could you post this in the DIY?
Worse, it's a Swedish/French conspiracy. :eek:

SKF: Svenska Kullagerfabriken

I'd be happy to post it in the DIY section, but would appreciate some instructions on how to do that.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,079 Posts
Looking at the pictures again jogged my memory.

When I said that the bearing in the aux fan is hard to get to, I wasn't exaggerating.

The bearing sits behind a plate which is peened to the housing. I used a punch to remove the plate and access the bearing. Putting it back together again is not a DIY job, unless you are good at spot welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so were you finally able to rebuild it or it wasn't repairable. I'm just going to buy another one when mine dies. After looking at your pictures that is to much work.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,079 Posts
so were you finally able to rebuild it or it wasn't repairable.
No, I was not able to put it back together again as I don't have access to welding equipment. :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did the same but stopped at taking the spot welds apart.

Using LOTS of carb cleaner Srayjet, high pressure water, tweezers, and WD40 I was able to clean out the bearings.
repacked bearing with high temp grease.

Mine was OEM Benz which is a $300usd fan-worth some effort ;-P

Measure the motor's resistance first. Should be around 2ohms.
If it s OPEN or SHORTED, the coils are probably fried and rebuild is unlikely.

true, the bearing are not 'perfect', but should last another ten years ;))))

cheers.

PS, there might be room for some fine grade flat head electronics bolts and nuts to replace the spot welds. The casing has about 5mm depth to house a low-profile or ground-down screw head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts