Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know little about about auto electrics so would appreciate some advice.

I need to replace the original MB black auxiliary fan 40 amp relay (001542 6819) and want to know if I can use the orange 40 amp version of this green 30 amp relay - or can I use the 30 amp anyway?

The old black one has no fuse and I notice the circuitry is slightly different. The black one has a fuse symbol on 30 and on the green one it's on 87. The black one looks like it has a double switch at the top and the green a single. Do they do the same thing?

The pins are the same.

The black one's are still available but are very expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts
I'd say the Orange 40Amp is O.K.(NOT the Green one)

NEVER downgrade in Voltage/Amperage capacity Electrical Equipment,unless you enjoy
roadside Car-B-Cues.

When I plug your Original Mercedes Part number into the Verboten Autohaus Arizona website
search the Orange 40Amp relay comes up.(It must be the "UpGrade" for the Black relay)

So, Mercedes 001 542 68 19 is replaced by Mercedes 001 542 97 19.

Plus, as you'll note the EPC calls for 001 542 97 19

Attachments

·
T5
17,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I put the green one up for the circuit diagram that I can now see is the same as the orange one in your post..I was curious about the difference in the switch.

So it's good to go...:thumbsup:

·
T5
17,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why verboten?:confused:

Anyway - when I searched with the old number I can only get the URO green and orange relays @$18 but not the OE relay (preferred) as shown in your post. Did you enter the model to get there?

This is what I get;

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts
Relay

Autohaus Arizona (is owned by a woman and her consort) based in Phoenix, Arizona.
They do a right nice trade in foreign car parts,
They (Unfortunately) started selling the "Uro" (Questionable, Mfg. in Peoples Republic of China) line of Faux european car parts.
There's a enormous profit incentive for them to sell you the "Uro" parts brand.

They're Verboten over on the other MB discussion
(Peach Parts,Formerly know as Mercedes Shop,before the German cousins in Stuttgart had their lawyers cry "Foul" about the use of the Mercedes name.)
forum because it is supported by parts sales form it's own in house parts sales.
(Doing business with A.A. would be like biting the hand that feeds you.)

Early this A.M. (East Coast U.S.) I plugged in the 001 542 68 19 number to the search bar
@ A.A. and as you can see it automatically converted the Old number to the New Number.
AND at that time (7:45 A.M. Sunday November 14,2010) they were out of the Uro part
BUT offered the Mercedes part.
Now When I perform the same operation ,I am only offered the Uro part.
"Control your customers and you control your income"
Or in my case,"Attempt to control your customer and he goes elsewhere."
(I agree with you the Mercedes part is the only option,as far as quality control.
I'm assured the Hungarians are not using Child Slave labor to make my Mercedes part.)

(Isn't it curious how they managed to get hold of Uro parts on a Sunday in the
U.S. Or at least update the website to show ONLY Uro parts?Especially
since they're not even open on Sundays?)
This is what I get from A.A. now (5:12 P.M. 11/14/10 CONUS east coast) using 001 542 68 19:

Attachments

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts

Attachments

·
T5
17,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is more entertaining than your mid term elections.

In Australia the relay in question is over $90 from Mercedes. Shipping from the U.S. is expensive but parts prices gives me an incentive to buy more parts to make it worthwhile - though I might not need them immediately.

Even my wife begrudgingly allows me this demented logic.

I'm still curious as to the differences in the circuit diagram and the fact the green 30 amp fused relay is shown both in catalogues and in situ as the fan relay.

No question though, I will replace the old 40 amp with another..

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts
Another Less Expensive 001 542 97 19 ($18.98 USD)

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Yea,This whole parts thing is like a big game.(What a nightmare it was before the WWW.)

I cannot believe how inexpensive some Mercedes parts are in Poland and Slovakia.
(Not to mention Turkey)

"Somebody" in the parts chain with Mercedes Benz of U.S. told me the other day that the
reason parts prices on older models have skyrocketed of late is to offset the cost of
parts prices on the newer models.
(Great,We get the great big Fid in the Wallet ,so the newer owners can pay less?)
I really can't complain when I see how Badly MB UK is abusing it's customers over parts
and service prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
it'd be ugly, but you could almost certainly use two commodity 25A relays in parallel....
This is a two year old thread however.

I wouldn't use the 25 amp relay for the high speed cycle.
Mercedes specify 40 amp so use 40 amp.
Particularly in a 20 year old vehicle where the wiring insulation has deteriorated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts