Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 clk 220cdi has 2 x 3v belts, one closest to front of car fell off one closest to engine still on. Car runs ok but don't know why one belt's come off. Can't take car to garage because of covid 19, does anyone have any idea's also when I search for parts it's a 6v belt

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,752 Posts
It sounds like belt is shredding and only few strands are still in place. Take some pictures of the area.

It should be 6PK x 2190 or 6PK x 2260 belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,495 Posts
Judging by those pictures you have gotten your monies worth out of that belt and dodged a bullet.
Usually when a pulley breaks like yours there is collateral damage as the parts thrash around under the hood.
You’ll be advised to replace the two idler pulleys along with the belt and likely the tensioner as well.

How many miles on the car and where, generally, are you located?

It’s not too difficult to perform this work if you DIY.

Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,495 Posts
Heres a write up of a similar car from your side of the Pond.

It covers replacing the alternator, but it provides a list of tools and materials that you’ll use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 2627088
Judging by those pictures you have gotten your monies worth out of that belt and dodged a bullet.
Usually when a pulley breaks like yours there is collateral damage as the parts thrash around under the hood.
You’ll be advised to replace the two idler pulleys along with the belt and likely the tensioner as well.

How many miles on the car and where, generally, are you located?

It’s not too difficult to perform this work if you DIY.

Skippy

cars done 108,00 miles an situated near Edinburgh. I've seen a poly v kit at autodoc which seems to have a tensioner and 2 guide wheels
It sounds like belt is shredding and only few strands are still in place. Take some pictures of the area.

Here are pictures think you're correct about belt splitting down middle, but is there a wheel missing as one only has space for half belt

1. 20200408_092134.jpg
  2. Heres a write up of a similar car from your side of the Pond.

It covers replacing the alternator, but it provides a list of tools and materials that you’ll use.

Cheers mate 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts