Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Aux water pump/heater valve

1452 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  190E-Boy
I have a pretty good antifreeze leak right out of
the Aux water pump/heater valve point and wondered if anyone else experienced this (190E 2.6 1991).

I bought a new radiator cap, aux water pump and heater valve from german star and was about to install but wanted to see if anyone did this maintainance before I proceeded.

Any tips?

thanks

190E-Boy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no problem!

it was easy (15 minutes tops and that was with a corroded plug) plus after doing this repair I picked up 2 mpg! I was running 23-24 mpg beofre the issue then it dropped to 22 mpg now I'm up at 25-26 mpg!!! and I drive like a nut avg speed is 80-85 mph.
It's 1 1991 190E 2.6 with 202K miles on it too!

I feel good, now I just need to update some aesthetics.

Also, I changed the radiator cap before fixing the aux pump and that seemed to help a little, CARTALK promised that could be a good solution.

Check your cap, if it looks worn buy a new one, less than $10.

190E-Boy

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep??

I was as equally dumbfounded. My car was overheating due to the cap and pump being shot and worn, almost hitting 120 when idling. My guess is the o2/fuel mix etc was way off due to engine temp, so my assumption was upon repair I returned to normal operating temperatures and went back to my normal fuel consumption.

Thats all I changed.

Unless it was the new pair of underwear I broke out that day.

later
190E-Boy

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tested it it again after another 150 miles

tested it it again after another 150 miles and this time I got 26.4 mpg! Is my car about to blow up? I'm not sucking more oil than before either..I burn a quart about every 1200 miles

not bad for a car with 203K miles

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm an idiot!!!

I figured it out, it was the underwear being on too tight.
Really, the answer is my stupidity. Due to the overheating I was driving with the heat on full, rather than move the lever all the way over on the fan and crank up the heat I was hitting the defroster (not realizing this also turned on the A/C condenser..I'm assuming that comes on too to help defrost the windows) thus my fuel consumption seemed high, but in actuallity it was normal for a guy blowing A/C around the clock. Is my assumption correct about the A/C being on when the defroster button (far left onthe climate control) is activated.

thanks and sorry for misleading you.

190E-Boy[:I]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.