Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - Rowdie was of course correct when he pointed out that the my Sirius radio plug is the wrong size for the lighter. My car is too original to mess around with swapping out that plug, so my plan is to run that power some where else.

I've seen lines run directly off the battery, but I thought that was a no-no. Using the following fuse box layout from an earlier post from doughtyrob, is there a better fuse line to run this off?

-------------

On the top is a key with a triangle 5 amp (yellow); rectangle 8 amp (white); employ circle 16 amp (red) and filed circle 25 amp (blue). only the radio in position 14 is a yellow 5 amp. All others are either 8 (white) or 16 (red). I've indicated the colors below:

1 - clock, trunk light, standing light right and left, glove compartment light, warning buzzer, hazard warning light, entrance/roof light, electrically operated antenna (white - 8amp)

2 - Auxiliary fan (Red 16 amp)

3 - Power window motor front right + rear left (red 16 amp)

4 - power window motor front left + rear right. (red 16 amp)

5 - horn (unreadable) (sliding roof) (red - 16 amp)

6 - blower motor (red 16 amp)

7 - heated rear window (seat heater UNREADABLE, right and rear) (red - 16 amp)

8 - emission control, seat belt warning system, back up lights, automatic transmission. (white 8 amp)

9 - air conditioning compressor with over drive UNREADABLE (white 8 amp)

10 - stop lamp, turn signals instrument cluster, tachometer, cruise control (red 16 amp)

11 - Windshield wiper, windshield washer pump optical horn (red 16 amp)

12 - cigar lighter, (seat heating front left) (white 8 amp)

13 - tail/parking/starUNREADABLE/ right, side marker UNREADABLE lighting for license plate, thermometer switch, dash board, shift indicator, hazard warning flasher (white 8 amp)

14 - radio (yellow 5 amp)

15 -LEFT BLANK

16 - standing light left, parking light left, tail light left (white 8 amp)

17 - high beam right, high beam indicator (white 8 amp)

18 - high beam left (white 8 amp)

19 - low beam right, fog light (red 16 amp)

20 - low beam left (white 8 amp)

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
tdskip, I have one of those plastic adapters reno mentioned left over from my long ago BMW days. Yours if you want it

message me with your address

Bill

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
I just put a thin band of duct tape around my plug and it works fine.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Where are you putting the radio? How do you know your lighter works? I have two of these things, they both have power to the lighter, but no juice out of it. Most amazing.

You have an unused fuse. I would run a wire out of it to an out of the way place and make a connection there. If the radio is mounted somehow and not just laying around, I would position the connector behind that point. Or, in the glove box.

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you know your lighter works?
It is a Mercedes - of course it works. Grin.

I use a portable unit so I'm not planning on doing a permanent mount at this point, but if the insert doesn't work from some reason I'm planning on doing what you suggested.

Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
Glove box is a good place to hide an additional plug adapter.

Yes you can branch off the battery if you wish...just use an inline fuse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
tdskip,
Nobby's solution looks good. Radios sometimes have their own integral fuse, but if not add one as Nobby suggested.

My glove box flashlight was missing and seeing it is not particularly useful, I gave up on idea of getting one. I used the power supply to that light as 12v permanent supply to my Sony stereo (the one that maintains settings etc). Not sure if it would have wire size and amps for your Sirius - wires size is 0.75/0.5mm2 or 18/20awg +/-.

The power window fuses might be an option. I think you said you had manual windows? Even on my 72 with power, those fuses 3 & 4 don't seem to be used for anything. My windows work with or without those fuses.

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tdskip,
Nobby's solution looks good. Radios sometimes have their own integral fuse, but if not add one as Nobby suggested.

My glove box flashlight was missing and seeing it is not particularly useful, I gave up on idea of getting one. I used the power supply to that light as 12v permanent supply to my Sony stereo (the one that maintains settings etc). Not sure if it would have wire size and amps for your Sirius - wires size is 0.75/0.5mm2 or 18/20awg +/-.

The power window fuses might be an option. I think you said you had manual windows? Even on my 72 with power, those fuses 3 & 4 don't seem to be used for anything. My windows work with or without those fuses.
Oh, interesting idea. I do have manual windows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts