Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the Becker aux input mod done to their stereo? If so, please tell me how you like it. Here's the info from Becker's website in case you're interested:

aux_input

·
Registered
96 S500 Sedan (SOLD), 02 E430 SE (SOLD), 95 E300 Diesel (SOLD)
39 Posts
Bobs,

I just had it added to mine a few months ago. I was also having a problem with sporadic operation of the volume control and had that fixed as well.

I'm very happy with the result - sounds great. I installed the jack inside the glove box and mounted satellite radio under the right center vent with a bracket that's designed specifically for the car. When you plug in a 3.5mm feed from any source, you operate the input on FM (regardless of the channel, it will play the source.) I find that I enjoy satellite so much, I rarely unplug it for FM. If I wanted to switch back and forth from the source to FM, it might be a pain. I've also plugged in my BB Tour and used Pandora and Slacker for streaming audio.

I had installed a device in the trunk a few years ago that controls my IPOD in place of the CD changer but really wanted satellite too - the Becker input was the best solution.

I personally think the OEM radio in the later w140's is a great system and didn't want to go aftermarket. Keeps things OEM and still sounds better than the Logic 7 in my 2005 BMW (IMHO).

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys (no pun intended). I see we have opinions both pro and con, but the price Becker quoted me seems pretty reasonable so I think I'm going to take a shot at it.

My plan is to mount my Motorola Droid where the ashtray is (it fits perfectly) and make my own flip-down Nav/Entertainment system. There should be enough room in the console for me to mount the jack box back there as well, so it will be a complete built-in install.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys (no pun intended). I see we have opinions both pro and con, but the price Becker quoted me seems pretty reasonable so I think I'm going to take a shot at it.

My plan is to mount my Motorola Droid where the ashtray is (it fits perfectly) and make my own flip-down Nav/Entertainment system. There should be enough room in the console for me to mount the jack box back there as well, so it will be a complete built-in install.
good luck and let us know

just incase you wanted to go your own way, here's an idea
CLICKY

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got my modded radio back and I have to say it is pretty slick. You just leave it set on FM and plug in your source to the jack. In my case the source is a Motorola Droid so phone audio and navigation prompts also come out over the speakers. Bonus!

Anyway, I have a question to others who had their radios modded. Where did you mount the little jack box? Pictures of the install would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Well, I got my modded radio back and I have to say it is pretty slick. You just leave it set on FM and plug in your source to the jack. In my case the source is a Motorola Droid so phone audio and navigation prompts also come out over the speakers. Bonus!

Anyway, I have a question to others who had their radios modded. Where did you mount the little jack box? Pictures of the install would be appreciated. Thanks.
I just left mine out right under the dash panel (beneath the ignition)

so how does it activate? do you still need to plug in a dummy tape?

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so how does it activate? do you still need to plug in a dummy tape?
No dummy tape required. It's wired into the the FM receiver's preamp output. So you leave the radio set to FM and all you do is plug in to the jack box and it automagically switches to your MP3 player. Pull the plug out and you have normal FM again. FWIW, it looks like they have a filter capacitor wired across the input as well because there's no scratch or pop noise when plugging in or unplugging.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
Cheap way for me is just to buy a $10 cassette with aux cable. Works with iPod/iPhone/mp3 players. You just go in tape mode to use it.

Sound quality is pretty good, I can't tell the difference between it and the CD, other than you hear the cassette unit working when volume is very low.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Cheap way for me is just to buy a $10 cassette with aux cable. Works with iPod/iPhone/mp3 players. You just go in tape mode to use it.

Sound quality is pretty good, I can't tell the difference between it and the CD, other than you hear the cassette unit working when volume is very low.
I agree, and for now that is the way I have it. the only difference is that with the aux input you can have the wire come out of your center console box so it looks clean(er) :help:

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
Hi.
Anyone got a pic of the intrnals of the mod? love to convert my old Becker to play MP3
cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts