Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with great interest about using an IPOD (or similar) with the COMMAND system on a Benz. I just purchased (yesterday) a 2002 S430. I am a huge MP3 junkie (XM RADIO too) and am looking for a good solution to this problem. Several people talk about Aux inputs in the glove box of C Class, but they are not in the S Class. The S comes with COMMAND, CD-Changer, and Cassette.
I hate the cassette adapters and it is hard to use with the COMMAND cassette because of the closing door. Anyway, I am looking for a professional looking solution and not something cabbaged together.

Any and all ideas and solutions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to say cost is not object, but something with in reason is more likely the case. One thought, are there any changers that will read MP3 CD's that will work? (of course this would be a last resort, because I much prefer the IPOD)

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I have read with great interest about using an IPOD (or similar) with the COMMAND system on a Benz. I just purchased (yesterday) a 2002 S430. I am a huge MP3 junkie (XM RADIO too) and am looking for a good solution to this problem. Several people talk about Aux inputs in the glove box of C Class, but they are not in the S Class. The S comes with COMMAND, CD-Changer, and Cassette.
I hate the cassette adapters and it is hard to use with the COMMAND cassette because of the closing door. Anyway, I am looking for a professional looking solution and not something cabbaged together.

Any and all ideas and solutions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to say cost is not object, but something with in reason is more likely the case. One thought, are there any changers that will read MP3 CD's that will work? (of course this would be a last resort, because I much prefer the IPOD)
I don't believe the S-class COMAND has an AUX input cable terminated at anywhere convenient. I believe the aux input was originally intended to add a compact cassette player to the COMAND for those who just can't do without. Since COMAND 2.5 already has a cassette, the need to make the aux input easily accessible was not that great.

What you can do to find out is pull the COMAND out (it's really not THAT difficult), then check the 18-pin connector for more than 4-5 wires. If a group of four wires comes off the connector into it's own cable, this wire should lead to an aux input connector. If no such wire is present, then an auxiliary input cable can be attached and routed to the location of your choice.

To do this, there are a few possibilities:

1) find a shop that KNOWS MERCEDES. Familiarity is an ABSOLUTE MUST, or they will be hacks and won't know what you're talking about. They should be able to do this for you for under $100. If you can't find one locally, a trip to Miami may be in order.

2) try to do it yourself. I can't assume your level of knowledge or comfort with electronics, ripping apart your expensive car, etc.; therefore, I can't really comment on whether you should try it or not. To me, it's pretty easy... you can buy the pins from the dealer, they are between $1-2 each and you'll need four, and you can use a headphone extension cable for the wire and jack. You can also buy a Molex connector at a local electronics store and for $2, get 10-16 connector pins that although not 100% appropriate, will work suitably well.

3) drive out to California and I'll do it. If price were really no object, you could send it via covered car carrier. If you did this, I would put it in for free. :)

4) pay to have the COMAND GOD come out and take care of it... Steve (MBenzNL). He will be happy to fly out there and put an aux input, if his expenses are covered. He normally charges $50 for addition of an aux input during a COMAND installation, but I think he would do it for that price if his expenses were covered. Again :) Of course, you could also drive to one of his scheduled stops on the East Coast, but I think they're pretty far from you.

Hope that helps.

-s-

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am an electronics engineer....so no problem with that. However, I do not see any way to ...

I am an electronics engineer....so no problem with that. However, I do not see any way to activate it on any menu.

?????

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
A couple people make little RF transmitters for iPods now. Basically it is little 1" modul...

A couple people make little RF transmitters for iPods now. Basically it is little 1" module that plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod. You then tune your radio to a certain station and the iPod transmits to that frequency. No wiring to be done. No modifications.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: A couple people make little RF transmitters for iPods now. Basically it is little 1

A couple people make little RF transmitters for iPods now. Basically it is little 1" module that plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod. You then tune your radio to a certain station and the iPod transmits to that frequency. No wiring to be done. No modifications.
And no quality sound!

-s-

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I am an electronics engineer....so no problem with that. However, I do not see any way to

I am an electronics engineer....so no problem with that. However, I do not see any way to activate it on any menu.

?????
I don't have a COMAND 2.5 so I don't know. However, you can check your owner's manual. Yeah, they didn't teach me that when I became and engineer either! [:)]

Also, last I checked... electronics engineers aren't necessarily experienced at removing interior panels, taking apart the dash, etc. That's where the real challenge is!

-s-

·
Registered
ML500
140 Posts
Comand 2.5 has no AUX input - the "electronics" for the aux input is taken up by the tape ...

Comand 2.5 has no AUX input - the "electronics" for the aux input is taken up by the tape player.

However, with a megacomm adapter, you then have a a video and left/right audio inputs, and if your car is reltaively new, then the blank button (which is a TV button in Europe) can be enabled by the MB dealer.

Then U add a MB TV tuner, or a Megacomm A/V adapter (see www.megacomm.de) - get the one for Comand 2.5 of course.

Im pretty sure that without the a/v adapter or tuner, the Comand ignores the fact that it has RGB/S and Left/Right audio inputs on the back of it for TV. (RGB/S is on a 5 pin DIN connector, audio is on one of the multiway connectors)

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Comand 2.5 has no AUX input - the

Comand 2.5 has no AUX input - the "electronics" for the aux input is taken up by the tape player.

However, with a megacomm adapter, you then have a a video and left/right audio inputs, and if your car is reltaively new, then the blank button (which is a TV button in Europe) can be enabled by the MB dealer.

Then U add a MB TV tuner, or a Megacomm A/V adapter (see www.megacomm.de) - get the one for Comand 2.5 of course.

Im pretty sure that without the a/v adapter or tuner, the Comand ignores the fact that it has RGB/S and Left/Right audio inputs on the back of it for TV. (RGB/S is on a 5 pin DIN connector, audio is on one of the multiway connectors)

Cheers,

R
Thanks for the definitive answer Richard!

Using the TV tuner was my next suggestion to obtain aux input.

Now the question for you... I have an MB Tuner, and the secondary video output is on the proprietary connector. Do you know which pins it is? With the Megacomm adapter, is this output presented as a RCA jacks instead?

Thanks for any help.

-s-

·
Registered
ML500
140 Posts
Re: Re: Comand 2.5 has no AUX input - the

Now the question for you... I have an MB Tuner, and the secondary video output is on the proprietary connector. Do you know which pins it is? With the Megacomm adapter, is this output presented as a RCA jacks instead?
OK, you have a slight problem with the TV tuner. There are 2 types of TV tuners available
OLD
NEW
In fact there are 2 OLD types, but they are functionally same

The OLD one has proprietary connectors, and only supports PAL and SECAM

The new one has RCA jacks * 6 (3 for each aux input, audio-L audio-R and composite), and most importantly for you supports NTSC video - IE you need this for USA TV reception/video/dvd usage.

Here is a picture of the new one
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409536214&category=38781

I think that the two inputs on the old one support different things, one is composite/s-vhs and one is RGB - so it is perhaps possible to use it with a US dvd using RGB - but I dont know if anyone has tried

Somewhere on the net is a document that shows what the proprietary pinsouts are - and there are cables available from megacomm.

The Megacomm has RCA jacks, but you need a PAL video source and not a NTSC one

Cheers

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts