Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e320 2005 Harley 1200 custom
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ran the diagnostic on the ac after pouring through the stickies today, reason being that when I am in traffic or driving short trips the ac doesnt blow very cold at lower speeds or at a stop light, when cruising it gets real cold, on the freeway as well.

The number 7 value was 10 with car off and 25-27 when car was running with ac on. So from what I understand the refrigerant level is fine or maybe even high.

After reading and reading older threads I found one that explained how to test the auxiliary fan. I did this and nothing. Next I went around to the front and the fan was seized, after I removed the plastic shroud I was able to break it free and still nothing upon testing.

I am not sure if these two are linked or not, seems like maybe if I clean the duovalve that may have an impact as well?

Either way the aux fan needs to be replaced, I was reading that you do not need to buy the entire assembly just the fan with the motor and a new belt, so the question is does anyone know the part# or where I can buy the parts needed, a few internet searches were giving me the entire assembly, I am hoping to be able to find just the parts needed.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are all the values for what its worth

1-33
2-41
3-22
4-21
5-25
6-108
7-26
8-74
9-8

10-6.0
11-3.2
12-4.1

20-10
21-7
22-00
23-00
24-13.1

40-71
41-36
42-72
43-136

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
The problem is most likely, because you have too much refrigerant in your AC. I would like to suggest to take it to an AC shop to evac/refill your system. As far as Auxfan concern, your sensors works fine, and at that point if no Auxfan running, its wise just to change it .... not too expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will look into the ac shop. I was wondering if there is a way to let any of the pressure out myself? Someone told me I should be able to let it out of the low side, didnt want to mess with it until I gathered more info.

Appreciate the quick response :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
You are very welcome. There is a science behind it all that you can always release the pressure (not recommended by me to do so) but if you take your car for evac/refill of almost $80 worth, your AC would run better, last longer, less expensive to drive an MB. Next stop, if at the time of your readings above no movement from the fans, I would look into it. According to your AC readings, it should have been running.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'll look into it, I like this car a lot and plan to keep it around. This forum is one of the best I have seen yet in terms of the volume of info and DIY stuff. I already fixed the blower motor via a sticky with a DIY resistor mod, worked great. This car also had dealer replaced head gasket and ball joints before I got it along with a bit of other service documentation. I just did the tie rod ends and will be doing the sway bar bushings, end links and shocks in the near future. Parts are plenty for the w210 as well and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
the only 2 times aux.fans kick in is when temp passes 105C and when ac pressure gets too high. i think they kick in when pressure is over 15bar, and yours at 26bar is putting too much strain on the compressor. with lower refrigerant pressure you will have colder air coming from vents.
don't buy cheap china aux fan or you will be replacing them again, i have had good luck for 3 years now with trucktec fan from bmaparts, was the cheapest i found. 1997 Mercedes-benz E320 - Cooling Fan, Clutch and Motor Parts -TRUCKTEC- Bma Auto Parts

removal directions PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the mini electric cooling fan belt

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
This is all you need, the belt dimensions. Going to dealers for something this routine would charge you lots. Found this on eBay for less than $10.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts